lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
954x4jeepman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default punched hole in a new battery.

ok, new too all this carting stuff. i recently purchesed a 1993 ezgo cart. it needed batteries. bought 6 new ones. same size and shape as the old ones. no problems. upon a few re-charges, i noticed battery acid on my garage floor. not good. the drivers side motor cable studd poked a hole in my new battery. kids must have been a little too rough on the cart...lol anyway. i patched the hole with jb stickweld. its acid proof, and i've done this before while 4wheeling. anyhow, i refilled the battery with distilled water. recharged it after it sat for 24 hours or so. my question is, why would my negative battery post, just on that battery get hot enough to blister my finger? thats the only one that gets that hot. its also developed the plenty of power in reverse thing but seems to be missing power in forward. i havent driven it very far for fear that it will get too hot/ possibly catching fire? i dont know. the cables are in good shape, new purchase with the batteries. everythings tight and yea, i made sure that i didnt cross any wires. we put about 30 miles on the cart before the battery hole. any help would be great. thanks for your time and hope someone can help.
954x4jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: punched hole in a new battery.

Welcome to BGW

I would be vey careful of that battery. If it were completley drained of acid it could be shorted internally. You also need acid in the battery not straight distilled water.....it doesn't work that way.

That terminal getting hot 99% of the time means you have a bad connection...or as stated before your battery is internally shorted.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
954x4jeepman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i didnt loose all the acid just about 8 oz or so. i replenshed the acid with a water checker? the thing that checks the acid content/ water sucker thing? i checked all the connections just now and it seems to be ok. as far as the battery being shorted internally it shoud give strange readings off the volt meter correct? like a high or low charge condition? or some kind of needle fluxuation? mabey i should just purchase a new battery just to be sure but dont wanna drop another 100.00

Last edited by 954x4jeepman; 07-28-2008 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: added a line
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Not necessarily, once it gets under a load it may change. The only real way to tell is with a battery load tester.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
954x4jeepman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i'll hit it with my load tester in the morning... should be at full charge by then.
thanks for the quick responce. it seems imo, that the battery is ok. but there is always that chance. just to be sure i'll grab another cable too...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you had one explode you would be leary of damaged batteries. Yes, it has happened to me. Cart would barely move...put it on charger for a little while....just enough to get it moved. I tried to move it and it would barely move....kept pushing the pedal and BOOOM! Sounded like a shotgun going off beside my head. Internally shorted battery I thought was good, had no physical outside damage....only thing was it was ran dry.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Also...... the terminal that got hot, be sure and retighten it.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
954x4jeepman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok hit it with the load tester a few times. battery is fine. i re tightened all cables and drove it around the yard a few times this morning in the dark. burning smell is gone. just must have been from running that battery somewhat low on water combined with driving usage. thanks for the help roady... i would recomend for the novice guy, not to try to fix a hole punched battery. be safe and replace. i still may.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO