lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: OBC eliminatiom

This does sound like a fat can of worms the wiring and design philosophy has changed over the years, from what I've seen on this forum. As new technology comes they can simplify and reduce cost by combining multi functions into a controller or OBC etc.

Scotty, why had DPI changed? Do they just plug in the charger with the OBC still in operation? Was the fact that these carts vary so much it was a pain to figure out what needed bypassing for each model?

In most cases I know If I have the functions of any one particular OBC, I can bypass it but to do every model is tedious IMO. The only thing going for me is the fun of doing it. I think I like that more and anything else.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The fact that club car has changed the function of the OBC and the safety interlock application over the years coupled with the fact that you can not find a schematic for the thing make it hard to tell Joe Public what to do.

DPI is taking the smart position that they do not want to be responsible for telling some one to modify anybody's product. Other charger companies may not be as cautious. But I don't think anybody else actually published a bypass. Although there is plenty of information on this topic on the web in some of the golf cart forums ( I was told)

If you are GC savoy an OBC bypass is not hard to do and shouldn't effect the operation beyond possibly disabling the safety interlock.... which should be rectified by running the cord through the steering wheel as we did in the old carts BEFORE safety interlocks existed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

A little relay logic and I can put the interlock back, not a complicated circuit.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

On the club car 3 prong round plug of the DPI charger, is the pin equivalent of the relay pin on the club car charger (short 3rd pin) just disconnected or is it internally connected to negative in the charger?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You guy have got my head spinning. I know all of you are talking about obc's but I'm looking for someone who can draw me a map on how to charge my 1996 club car regen 1 using a DPI stand alone charger after the OBC would not let it charge. I can run a jumper from pack neg #6 battery to the fuse holder and the charge will click. That is all I know. So far I have not seen it charge, there is still hope. With that small little wiring diagram one of you nice men will draw for me, too many wire on the wiring diagrams from club car.
Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not certain Sergio - The connection should be to the relay on the 'dumb' DPI charger and non existent on the smart charger.

Sonny just rig it independent of the cart..... it just needs 2 wires to charge. One to main (+) and one to main (-). It don't get much simpler than that? It shouldn't be any more complicated than puttin jumper cables on a cat
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sonnysmith - unless your going into the cart parts or repair business - stop spinning. You have completely over-complicated your situation. There are numerous versions of OBC - and how they connect to the various controllers used by Club Car over numerous years - which is why this particular thread SOUNDS COMPLICATED - BECAUSE IT IS!

BUT - Because you have a Regen 1 - your choices for charging are dead simple. In your original thread it has been determined that your OBC has already failed. There is simply nothing to draw (even for such a skilled artist as Crash Test).

Here are the steps:

Step 1) Buy a DPI charger with the proper round charging plug and sell or throw away your old charger. In fact, buy it from Scotty B. - he stands behind everything he sells, so you know it is as good a charger as any you can buy from anyone else. Don't bother trying to resurrect old chargers from EZ-GO or Yamaha - buy a new/good one that has the "right-charging-brains built-in".

Step 2) All you (can and should) do is MAKE ONE SIMPLE BLACK 12 ga. WIRE WITH A RING TERMINAL on one end. Connect the ring terminal to the last negative battery post of your battery pack. Connect the other end to the BLACK WIRE on the back of your charging socket. Make good clean connections and make no other wiring changes, additions or deletions!

Step 3) As Tahoe Dawg said in your original thread - charge your cart and drive around happy.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #18
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm not certain Sergio - The connection should be to the relay on the 'dumb' DPI charger and non existent on the smart charger.
Scotty is there a way you can test to see if the third prong has power of any sort? I'm thinking it could be used to interrupt power to the solenoid using a normally closed contact on a solid state relay. Plug in the charger energize the relay and the cart will not run. Easy lockout but contingent on that pin connector.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
Scotty is there a way you can test to see if the third prong has power of any sort? I'm thinking it could be used to interrupt power to the solenoid using a normally closed contact on a solid state relay. Plug in the charger energize the relay and the cart will not run. Easy lockout but contingent on that pin connector.
I don't see why that would not work
Ezgo went as far as to put a magnet in the handle that operated the reed switch for a safety interlock.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a new DPI charger on the way and I have ran a black wire to the #6 battery. I will back out of this thread and go driving (in a few days). I love all the good information.

Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car