lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Is "topping off" batteries daily, best for longer battery life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
One of the major contributing factors that determine a lead-acid battery's cradle to grave lifespan is the average SoC (State of Charge) maintained and putting the batteries on charge after each use increases the average SoC.

Attached is a chart showing estimated number of charge cycle available vs average SoC for four of the major brands of golf cart batteries.
I have a thought/question on this. It appears to me by the chart that you are not getting much more life out of your pack by charging twice a day instead of once since you are doubling your cycles. I go through a pack in 2 years plus a month or 2 , roughly 1000 cycles. If I could charge them twice a day, that would roughly double the cycles. By the chart, I would not be getting many more months out of them. Please tell me if I am wrong.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is "topping off" batteries daily, best for longer battery life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
I have a thought/question on this. It appears to me by the chart that you are not getting much more life out of your pack by charging twice a day instead of once since you are doubling your cycles. I go through a pack in 2 years plus a month or 2 , roughly 1000 cycles. If I could charge them twice a day, that would roughly double the cycles. By the chart, I would not be getting many more months out of them. Please tell me if I am wrong.
Part of the mystery is the definition of a charge cycle. IE: Does a charge from 80% SoC to 100% count the same as a charge from 60% to 100%? I've also heard that if recharging after an 18 hole round of golf constitutes one cycle, then playing two rounds (36 holes) before recharging uses three cycles.

I've had the same thoughts and questions you have, but have never able to nail down any absolutes since what constitutes a cycle appears to be a variable quantity, more of an advertising term than an engineering one.

What I have been able figure out is sulfuric acid combines with the lead and lead-dioxide of the battery plates to form lead-sulfate when the battery is discharged and the lead-sulfate is converted back to lead, lead-dioxide and sulfuric acid when recharged. When first formed, the lead-sulfate is in an amorphous (soft) state and converts back into lead, lead-dioxide and sulfuric acid fairly easily, but as soon as it is formed, a crystalline latticework starts building within the amorphous (soft) lead-sulfate, converting to to crystalline (hard) lead-sulfate, which takes a lot more energy to convert back into lead, lead-dioxide and sulfuric acid. Crystalline lead-sulfate accumulating on the plates of lead-acid batteries is the natural ageing process that eventually kills them. So the trick is to minimize the amount of time the naturally occurring soft lead-sulfate has to crystallize be recharge the battery as soon as possible and practical after use, regardless of how much it has been discharged.

Attachment-1 is the most definitive statement I have received from any battery manufacturer about "Opportunity charging", but you have to be careful searching that term online since it has more than one meaning. Here it means plug in your regular charger whenever the opportunity presents itself, but in other places it means using a higher amp charger instead of the normal one.

I've also included the complete document in PDF format as well as the US Battery chart showing DoD vs cycles. (DoD is the reciprocal of SoC) I have similar charts or data for all four of the brands shown on the chart I posted earlier, but they aren't as well identified as to which brand it is for as the US Battery chart is.

------------
Incidentally, some of the crystalline lead-sulfate can be broken down when enough energy is used. That is why back-to-back charging sometimes helps a battery pack that won't take a full charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oppertunity charging.JPG (145.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg US Battery Cycle vs DoD.JPG (108.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usb-charging-recommendations.pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO