lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Question Motor upgrade with speed code 3?

My 2010 Precedent I2 Excel runs 15 mph on flat ground. My battery pack voltage checks within the chart ScottyB posted. Based on that, I am assuming it is set at code 3. I am looking for 20 mph. The cart is located at our vacation home on the SC coast. I have checked with a dealer there and he wants about 200.00 to come by and check it and upgrade to code 4. I can probably get it done for less, but I will have to haul it around 100 miles or so to save 50 bucks. My question is, can I upgrade to a new motor, like a PQ Bandit, and get an extra 5 mph with the controller set on speed code 3? The Bandit price exchange is only a few dollars more than the dealer wants to reset my controller. I have a friend who goes by their store 2 times a week so shipping charges don't apply. If I can get 5 more mph I would be happy. I can change the motor easier than I can haul the cart around to get it reprogrammed. Your thoughts?
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Motor upgrade with speed code 3?

Usually speed code 4 is $100... I am not sure about putting an upgraded motor into a cart with code 3, I guess it would make it faster?
It would probably be much easier to go ahead and program speed code 4 in.
That will get you your 20 mph.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

If you get a new motor it wont make a difference what code you are at as the new motor will eliminate regen system.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I read the plum quick page on the bandit motor it said only for IQ carts, just like the SpeedyLink is only for IQ's and not Excels. I would be very interested in knowing if the Bandit can get an Excel cart to 25mph on stock controller without programming any speed codes....
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately I don't think it will work with the stock controller. Even if PQ physically eliminates the ability of the motor to go into regen mode, the controller will detect the motor has not slow down and it will either go into "limp" mode or will do some abrupt loss of power on/off.... I experienced both of them while working on my black box.
When I checked about code 4 it was $125 plus 2 trips to the dealer (or you have to assume all liability if the code does not work).
Anyway, I did finish by "black box" project and have been running on it for about 1 month. It will let the cart go as fast as the rest of the components allow, which in my case is about 25mph down hill... I don't have any good flat roads to test around here...
The first picture is the development setup I was using, it is based on a regular arduino microcontroller board.
Since then I received my really small microcontroller from a kickstart project I help fund last year (it is on the end of the USB cable on the left side of the picture).
I ported the code to the new device and removed all of "stuff" I used for debugging. The final setup was so small that I was able to fit into a pretty compact box, second picture.
I made a couple of extra ones, I will let You borrow one and if You want to keep it I will sell it for $90.
I will be curious to hear if PQ can do anything for stock Excel carts now too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackbox-dev.jpg (60.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg blackbox-final.jpg (65.6 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Awesome Sergio!

Can't the same thing be done with a magnet?

Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Only if you have an IQ cart, not the Excel.
On the IQ is as simple as replacing the stock 8 pole magnet with a 4 pole. It does somewhat affect the "roll away" feature and weakens the effect of Regen breaking.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sergio,
Since you have under 10 posts we cannot PM you. I'm interested in your "black box" project. Email me sportcoupe at comcast dot net

John
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

John, I sent you my email address...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I see a lot of people talking about speed magnets and referencing ebay/amazon... You can order them directly from a manufacturer a lot cheaper.

Precedent IQ or Excel with ADC motor:
Original 8 pole magnet: P16C25R8

IQ Only: wwwphoenixamerica.com

They cost about $10 plus shipping.

I never researched the magnet for the G/E motors, but if you measure one, I am sure that company makes one for them as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car