lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Murby
Gone Wild

Default Charging question

I have a stock 2013 Club Car that came with the stock charger. This is not an RV for us, its a utility vehicle.

Something that has been concerning me lately is that our use of the cart involves a lot of 300 to 400 yard trips and then back to being parked in the garage.

So we take the cart off charge, hop on, drive 150 to 200 yards with our equipment, spend 3 or 4 hours working, then 150 to 200 yards back, and then we're done for the day and back onto the charger it goes.

I'm concerned that I'm over-charging by not draining down the battery. I mean, how much battery drain would there be in such a short trip right? Could these daily short drives cause an over-charge condition?

It seems to me that the charger goes straight to 15 amps, then kicks off, waits for a few seconds, then turns back on again. I'm assuming its checking the bat voltage when it does that?
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Charging question

Everything I have read suggests plugging it in after even the smallest amount of usage (like it sounds like you are doing). I believe the charger adjusts itself and will not allow for an over charge.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Simicrintz is correct. The OBC or charger if smart charger (I believe 2013 would have an OBC) will keep the batteries from overcharging. So that’s not an issue. And yes, with obc it’s normal for the charger to kick on for a few seconds, shut off, then turn back on again and complete the charge cycle. The obc is checking the charge of the battery so it knows what it needs to do.

However, it may be beneficial for the batteries to get a decent discharge at least every once in a while.

Just to throw it out there, and I know it’s pricey, but that’s the biggest benefit of lithium and why I switched from perfectly good batteries to lithium. You don’t have to worry about any of that. You just charge it and use it until the batteries are low. Then plug it in, charge it and again, don’t have to worry about plugging it back in until they’re low. In your case this would probably take a month between charges LOL but the complete lack of “necessary maintenance” to me is the biggest benefit of lithium, by far. I charge my cart about once every week or two, depending on how much we use it. And for me, a charge is good for 20-25 miles depending on how many kids I’ve got riding with me and where we go.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

the batteries will last longer doing a bunch of small charges than doing a handful of big charges . I charge mine every night if it did 20 feet or 20 miles, check the water level every two weeks if it needs or not. 6 years later those trojans are a little tired but still go every time I step on the pedal.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
Murby
Gone Wild

Thanks for the answers.. I wasn't sure how "smart" this charger is.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #6
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Simicrintz is correct. The OBC or charger if smart charger (I believe 2013 would have an OBC) will keep the batteries from overcharging. So that’s not an issue. And yes, with obc it’s normal for the charger to kick on for a few seconds, shut off, then turn back on again and complete the charge cycle. The obc is checking the charge of the battery so it knows what it needs to do.

However, it may be beneficial for the batteries to get a decent discharge at least every once in a while.

Just to throw it out there, and I know it’s pricey, but that’s the biggest benefit of lithium and why I switched from perfectly good batteries to lithium. You don’t have to worry about any of that. You just charge it and use it until the batteries are low. Then plug it in, charge it and again, don’t have to worry about plugging it back in until they’re low. In your case this would probably take a month between charges LOL but the complete lack of “necessary maintenance” to me is the biggest benefit of lithium, by far. I charge my cart about once every week or two, depending on how much we use it. And for me, a charge is good for 20-25 miles depending on how many kids I’ve got riding with me and where we go.
Thank you!

And yup, I'm quite familiar with lithium as I have built several off grid systems using salvaged EV packs. My own home has a 25kWh lithium ion off-grid backup system.. 52 volt nominal, 480aH of capacity.

I'm waiting for an AllSports front end to be delivered this May.. once everything on the cart is upgraded, I'll be installing a Navitas AC system and upgrading the battery. Only problem is that the virus has made salvaged EV packs a bit scarce right now so I'm just waiting patiently.

I did measure the battery box and I figure I can easily squeeze about 240ah in there.. For me, that would mean charging it once or twice a summer, if even that much.
We do take a weekly trip to my neighbor's house about a mile down the road.. So its a mile there and a mile back, and along the way some 1/4 mile long hills.
The bats do get exercise, but 6 out of 7 days we just tool around the farm.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car