lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Is "topping off" batteries daily, best for longer battery life?

We have a EZGO 2015 RXV 48 volt ( 6 Trojan 8v T-875 Batteries dated August of 2019) that we use almost everyday. We do not play golf, but drive around the neighborhood quite often. Should we "top off" the batteries by charging everyday, and leaving the charger plugged into the cart? Or should we charge when the batteries reach a certain level of charge, say 75% or so? Which is the best method for longer battery life? I check the water level in the batteries almost every week. Thanks!
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Is "topping off" batteries daily, best for longer battery life?

After every use....5 minutes or 5 hours, batteries love chargers!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
After every use....5 minutes or 5 hours, batteries love chargers!
Brad,
THANK YOU! We love our afternoon rides around the community.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

One of the major contributing factors that determine a lead-acid battery's cradle to grave lifespan is the average SoC (State of Charge) maintained and putting the batteries on charge after each use increases the average SoC.

Attached is a chart showing estimated number of charge cycle available vs average SoC for four of the major brands of golf cart batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avg SoC vs Charge Cycles.jpg (127.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
RogerA
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
One of the major contributing factors that determine a lead-acid battery's cradle to grave lifespan is the average SoC (State of Charge) maintained and putting the batteries on charge after each use increases the average SoC.
Johnnie,
THANK YOU!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
tsmith_co
Getting Wild

Is there any concern about interrupting a charge? Say it's plugged in and 20 min later realize I need it again.
tsmith_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith_co View Post
Is there any concern about interrupting a charge? Say it's plugged in and 20 min later realize I need it again.
No. As JB says above, the higher your average charge is the longer life you will get.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith_co View Post
Is there any concern about interrupting a charge?
Nope. When you're done with the cart for the day just put it on charge again.

It would be an issue if you're near 50% charge and take the cart out to use it again. When I had lead acid I avoided using the cart when it was below 70% but that was a bit extreme. If it were me, if you have another option and your cart is below 60% then just leave the cart at rest and plugged in. Now I'll contradict what I just said... If it's a short run down the street to the liquor store and back and you're at 55% SOC then you're not really impacting it that much for a relatively short (both distance and time) run. Just put it back on charge when you get home. $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Nope. When you're done with the cart for the day just put it on charge again.

It would be an issue if you're near 50% charge and take the cart out to use it again. When I had lead acid I avoided using the cart when it was below 70% but that was a bit extreme. If it were me, if you have another option and your cart is below 60% then just leave the cart at rest and plugged in. Now I'll contradict what I just said... If it's a short run down the street to the liquor store and back and you're at 55% SOC then you're not really impacting it that much for a relatively short (both distance and time) run. Just put it back on charge when you get home. $0.02
Like he said...if you need to run to the liquor store, you should take the chance! My 2 cents
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Lead-acid cart batteries are very forgiving and can be discharged down to about 20% SoC without permanently damaging them, but doing so greatly shortens battery lifespan and running on low battery voltage ups the amp draw, which in turn is rough on the controller, solenoid and motor (and F/R switch in a series drive).

When the battery manufacturers do non-destructive testing, they don't go below 1.75VPC (Volts per Cell), which is 42V for a 48V pack and irreversible physical damage starts occurring as the voltage drops below 1.5VPC (Volts per Cell). At low SoC the naturally occurring drop in voltage when amps are drawn is greater, so it is easier to hit 1.5VPC, so you have to treat the cart gently when you start a trip with low batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO