lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
Gasser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon Roll Cage plans/Pics

So whats the problem with the speeds i mentioned? A: im lying? B: its too fast for a golf cart?
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
racin161
Gone Wild

Sorry guys miss understood I've also raced for over 30 yrs. and it was always about safety. Never tried to side step the safety rules the only one that gets fooled is U. This is Y my granddaughter sports a $275.00 fire suit for a Quarter Midget. I get it!
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Gasser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

all is good. This is one reason i kinda hate forums because so much is lost in text vs. casual conversation between two ppl. My cart has an engine from a yamaha exciter 570cc snowmobile. Engine makes anywhere between 80 to 90 hp. I will be governing down the engine because its just sketchy to drive. I did GPS the mph. Needless to say at 55 I let out and it was still climbing. It was very unstable at this speed. Hence the need for a roll cage. This along with addressing wheel stance for better stability etc. All comments on design and materials are welcome.
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/desig...oll-cages.html

here ya go guys, 114 pages of me and some fellow members building some cages. i did call them roll cages, but in reality they are just sport cages or brush cages. although, chevyracing did try out the cage in a roll over. he and his friend were ejected out of the cart. the cage did stop it from jumping the curb and landing on them. the cages ive built are mostly for look verus function. i have built my cages out of roll cage tubing that i ordered from stock car steel. i also have a simple hydraulic tubing bender and i purchased bend-tech pro to help design and build my cages.
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser View Post
So whats the problem with the speeds i mentioned? A: im lying? B: its too fast for a golf cart?
I don't have a problem with anything you guys were talking about.
My Yamazuki was up to 53mph before my wife started poking me in the ribs to slow down!
I had pedal left darnnit!!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Everybody should know if you want safety the cage would have to be tied to the frame somehow. With mine and the way it's mounted the only good it is for is to hold the top and window's on.
If I had a cart that would run 55 + mph and were going to drive it that fast, I would have used Chromolly tubing and incorporated it to fasten to the frame/chassis in a way that it could protect the passenger's just like a drag car. I'm sure these guy's that race there cart's on here have done so.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

A point to remember.A cage is pretty much useless for protection if the riders are not belted in.This goes back even to a BullDozer.If it has ROPS(cage)it Must have belts.Go-Karts(racing ones)Do Not have belts since they do not have protection.If you strap someone into an unprotected area-they become the cage!If you don't strap someone in,in a cage,they become a dangerous projectile that is trapped within the cage!We raced Karts,Mini-Sprints,and Stock-Cars,My Buddies have Drag-Cars in the low 7's.I've seen and personally experienced the good and bad results.If you want a top on your cart that looks tough but is just for looks,Just remember that when you are out "playing"and behave responsibly.If you want a true Roll-Cage,build it correctly and mount it securely to the frame of the cart,not items such as the cowl or seat-mounts as a lot of "cages" are mounted.You don't have to go to the extremes of Chrome-Moly either.A good-quality DOM seamless tubing will be more than sufficient(They build stock-car chassis and cages with it)and its' quite a bit cheaper and doesn't need to be Tig-Welded as Chrome-Moly really should be.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

From what was explained to me. Chromoly is light than DOM tubing but not always stronger. One of the biggest problems with chromolly is welding it. It takes a very skilled welder to weld it. If chromolly is not tempered it will have stress cracks in it which will be your weak points. DOM tubing is used by almost all professional race teams except in drag racing. Of course it doesn't matter which material you use if it is not done correctly. Now unless you have a degree in structural engineering or know someone that does, then chances are you don't have the ability to properly design a structurally stable cage that is designed to with stand crashes. It takes a long time to engineer and test cages. I am by no means a expert, I'm just a guy that has discussed this with professional chassis designers and spent countless hours researching cages. Now having said all that, if you are wanting a 100% structurally stable cage that is capable of with standing impacts from multiple angles and speeds, you might want to consider having a chassis builder build it for you. The cages I have built (except for KGSC's workhorse) have bolted to the frame in 3 places, the front 2 frame mounts, then 2 behind the seat to the frame and to the rear of the frame at the back bumper. Also, the cages I've built are only bolted to the frame, the rest is welded. I think the only cage that I have seen on here that is truly a protective cage that is on a cart is rifters. If you haven't seen his, take a look. I haven't seen it in person and I really hope to meet him and see his creations.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

I do want to add to pachanga90 seat belt suggestion. A lap belt is not really very protective. At minimum a over the shoulder belt. I prefer at least a 4 point harness which I plan on adding to my cart. A 5 point would be best, but that's a little harder to incorporate into a cart. Now if you want to get serious, arm restraints like monster truck driver have started using in case of a roll over to keep their arm from flying around. Dennis Anderson broke one of his arms last year I think when he rolled his truck and his arm slammed into the cage.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What ? I don't have three frame mounts ?? I feel cheated... It has survived well. My daughter, father and nephews have all bounced it off of trees and it is still holding up.. Little paint and good to go
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO