lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Marathon...Kinda

What do you mean by "Constant Flexing"? I only need it to go On the S1 and S2 Posts on the Motor and going to the F&R Switch and from the controller to F&R Switch.

Why would it not work with the Motor? Its not going to be Moving around and bending if its not being touched?

Thanks,

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The motor is mounted to differential, which is connected to axles, which are connected to the ground via the wheels and tires.
The cables are attached to things which are mounted to the body and frame, which are attached to the axles via springs.
The springs flex as the cart moves across bumps, so the cables flex.

The frame, body and battery tray also flex a bit, so even the cables between batteries are flexed a bit, especially when cart is driven across rough ground.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One concern with a stiff cable is that it may put more strain on the lugs, so I'd keep an eye on them. For the motor connections, there should be a cable tie attached to the motor, so that should help you on that end. You could use cable ties for the four motor cables after they leave the controller and FNR to limit flexing there.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Re: Ezgo Marathon...Kinda

OK, So I understand Exactly what you two are saying the cart moves with the bumps so the Cables need to move with the cart that is moving with the bumps but that will cause the cables to flex and the cable is not a flexible cable. My plan is, I will leave a little bit of slack for the 2 motor Cables and I will put a cable tie Down on the battery to hold the cable's there and we will be all set.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just make sure the slack you leave isn't going to rub somewhere. ScottyB posted some photos of those same cables - FNR/controller to motor - where they rubbed against the frame until the insulation failed.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #26
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe I should Wrap the Cables in some kind of Tape and tie the cable to the battery Tray with some cable ties so nothing rubs and I can protect the insulation.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

I bought a set of 20' 4 gauge jumper cables for $40 at the local Autozone (or was it O'Reilly's - they ALL look the same to me!). Very flexible, > 100 strands, came to $1/ft (they wanted $2.50/ft for bulk cable). Made my cables out of that. I'd suggest going ahead and making all of your cables out of the wire you have on hand, EXCEPT for the motor cables. Perhaps you could find a 10' 4 gauge jumper cable for less than the $40 I paid for a 20'.

I'm with JohnnieB on this one - the motor bounces around with the rear end, and it's likely your connections would fail with cable as stiff as what you have on hand.

Just a suggestion, hope it all works out for you.

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Further food for thought:

Cables ends breaking off and insulation wearing through are definitely things to be concerned about, but what worries me the most are the motor & solenoid studs, battery posts and controller buss bars the cables connect to.

Ruin any of those and it is either an expensive component to replace or a Royal PITA to fix.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, You guys have scared me out of it, But I guess that's a good thing. I will return the Other Cable any buy this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELDING-CABL...item3a78586b06

I cant afford to spend any more $$ of this thing but at least I wont need anything else and it will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #30
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The Cart will be Complete and Driving this Week Parts come in Tomorrow!!!!!!!

4 Gauge Everything cant wait.

Matt

Tags
ezgo, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO