lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
T&MsDad
Not Yet Wild

Default Auction bargain 1998 EzGo TXT wiring problem

Please help. I recently bought a 1998 EzGo TXT at an auction and I can't get it to run. The solenoid and controller have both been replaced . I didn't replace those, but all connections are tight and from what I can tell I think everything is wired correctly. The batteries all test 12+ V independently and 37+ V together. The reed switch is bad, but even when I bypass it nothing happens.
T&MsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Auction bargain 1998 EzGo TXT wiring problem

Welcome to BGW! So the cart has 12v batts in it?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

At 37V, the battery pack is only about 65% SoC (State of Charge) and needs to be charged.
A fully charged 36V battery pack will read 38.2V, but 37 should be enough for troubleshooting.

The standard battery pack for a '98 TXT is six 225AH 6V batteries, but the 12V batteries will work for troubleshooting. They just won't operate cart for very long between charges.

A '98 TXT came with two different types of drive systems, Series, which has a series wound motor and DCS, which has Sepex (Separately Excited) motor.
We need to know which drive type you have to troubleshoot it extensively.

If there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS.

--------
In either case, does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Drive identification chart for Ezgo - I'm guessing your solenoid is not clicking when you try to go.... once you know which drive system you have select the correct solenoid activation chart. The first is DCS and second is the series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-guide-#2.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS Solenoid activation.jpg (85.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ezgo Series solenoid activation diagram.jpg (107.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
T&MsDad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Welcome to BGW! So the cart has 12v batts in it?
Yes. I'm pretty new to electric golf carts, but I suspected that the previous owner had rigged up the wrong batteries in it when I bought it.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
T&MsDad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
At 37V, the battery pack is only about 65% SoC (State of Charge) and needs to be charged.
A fully charged 36V battery pack will read 38.2V, but 37 should be enough for troubleshooting.

The standard battery pack for a '98 TXT is six 225AH 6V batteries, but the 12V batteries will work for troubleshooting. They just won't operate cart for very long between charges.

A '98 TXT came with two different types of drive systems, Series, which has a series wound motor and DCS, which has Sepex (Separately Excited) motor.
We need to know which drive type you have to troubleshoot it extensively.

If there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a DCS.

--------
In either case, does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed?
It has a Run/Tow switch. No, the solenoid doesn't make a sound and shows the same 37+ V at both of the large poles (confusing). I've tested all of the switches and wiring for continuity and cannot find any issues. Even though the batteries are not correct, since they do show a charge I'm puzzled as to why I can't get it to do anything. I'll try to post a picture of the redneck battery job later. Thank you all!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&MsDad View Post
It has a Run/Tow switch. No, the solenoid doesn't make a sound and shows the same 37+ V at both of the large poles (confusing). I've tested all of the switches and wiring for continuity and cannot find any issues. Even though the batteries are not correct, since they do show a charge I'm puzzled as to why I can't get it to do anything. I'll try to post a picture of the redneck battery job later. Thank you all!
You've got a 1998 TXT DCS.

There may be a resistor and a diode connected between the large terminals on the solenoid, that is probably why you read 37V on both large terminals when the solenoid is de-energized.

The first step would be to make sure the wiring is correct. Use the first schematic Scotty posted. Attached is another one that is laid out a bit differently on paper, but electrically the same.

The second step is to get the solenoid to click.
To do that, place Run/Tow switch in RUN, Keyswitch ON and F/R selector in either F or R.
That should put B+ (battery pack voltage) on Pins 6, 9 & 10 on the controller.
Then push pedal, placing B+ on Pin-5 and telling the controller to energize the solenoid.

If you have B+ on Pin 5, 6, 9 & 10 and the solenoid doesn't click, the controller is probably bad.

---------
The stock DCS controller has no low voltage protection and is prone to failures, so if it is bad, replace it with an aftermarket controller, such as an Alltrax DCX400 (or larger).
See package 505DCS about halfway dow this webpage: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

With a proper battery pack, that setup will give you a cart with a lot of torque that will do about 20MPH on stock height (18") tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - DCS - No Reverse Diode -KSI Traced.JPG (94.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1998, electric, txt, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO