lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default RXV Motor Brake Replacement Proceure

I know I've seen in a thread on here a step by step procedure for replacing the brake on an RXV. I've searched and came up empty. Anyone seen it by chance?
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Motor Brake Replacement Proceure

I have this from cgtech:

RXV brake replacement

Thanks Pinball, hope the new brake arrives today. These are the directions I'm following:

1) DO NOT over tighten bolts
2) CLEAN MOUNTING SURFACES and motor lug
3) Do not unplug or plug brake connector with key on or in "N" ( Key off while PLUG'n)
4) Brake should be ENERGIZED (cart in tow mode - key to "N" ) while brake bolts tightened.

Put the cart on flat ground, chock wheels (both of these are very important). Tow position, key off, leave batteries hooked up ( you will need power during re-install.) Unplug the brake, remove 3x 10mm bolts on brake. Remove brake. Clean mounting surface on motor. Hang new brake on armature, push cart just slightly to point plug towards top to line up holes. Start all three bolts (just barely). Plug brake in, put cart in neutral (this should unlock the brake, don't let the cart roll away).
Tighten bolts evenly to 10 n-13 INCH POUNDS, if you don't have a inch-torque wrench, tighten the bolts enough to fully compress the lock washers, not much more.. Turn key off, tow/run back to run, turn key on, test drive, celebrate with beer

cgtech

If the holes aren't aligned on the new brake, I have a proceedure for that also. I will post if necessary. I have not actually done this myself but I watched it once on a cart with a back seat. The seat didn't have to be removed in this case.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks!!!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Also, the three long machine screws the hold the motor brake to the motor seem to corrode a lot. Dissimilar metals or something. You may need to dress the threads on a wire wheel before reinstalling. I also add some anti-seize to those screws for protection.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

will do. appreciate the help!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
Bobbybooshay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I have this from cgtech:

RXV brake replacement

Thanks Pinball, hope the new brake arrives today. These are the directions I'm following:

1) DO NOT over tighten bolts
2) CLEAN MOUNTING SURFACES and motor lug
3) Do not unplug or plug brake connector with key on or in "N" ( Key off while PLUG'n)
4) Brake should be ENERGIZED (cart in tow mode - key to "N" ) while brake bolts tightened.

Put the cart on flat ground, chock wheels (both of these are very important). Tow position, key off, leave batteries hooked up ( you will need power during re-install.) Unplug the brake, remove 3x 10mm bolts on brake. Remove brake. Clean mounting surface on motor. Hang new brake on armature, push cart just slightly to point plug towards top to line up holes. Start all three bolts (just barely). Plug brake in, put cart in neutral (this should unlock the brake, don't let the cart roll away).
Tighten bolts evenly to 10 n-13 INCH POUNDS, if you don't have a inch-torque wrench, tighten the bolts enough to fully compress the lock washers, not much more.. Turn key off, tow/run back to run, turn key on, test drive, celebrate with beer

cgtech

If the holes aren't aligned on the new brake, I have a proceedure for that also. I will post if necessary. I have not actually done this myself but I watched it once on a cart with a back seat. The seat didn't have to be removed in this case.
Can I have that procedure for the bolt holes not aligning?
Bobbybooshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here you go cgtech posted this at one time or another.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motro Brake Mounting Hole alignment.pdf (269.1 KB, 0 views)
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #8
Lees23
Getting Wild

I must ask.. why are all the extra steps needed? I unplugged mine, took the old one off and put the new one on.
Lees23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
I must ask.. why are all the extra steps needed? I unplugged mine, took the old one off and put the new one on.
To make sure that it is installed propery so that it lasts... Proper alignment and not too much bolt torque permit it to work properly so that it has the longest service life. Otherwise it binds and wears out prematurely.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
yukonjoe74
Not Yet Wild

do you know the exact size of the 3 bolt needed to install the motor brake? i picked up cart that had motor brake removes and no bolts. i bought new brake but did not come with new screws. any help would be greatly appreciated. its a 2008 RXV and from what i understand once i put new brake on it i will never be able to release the brake if batteries are dead? can you confirm this? thanks again, Joe
yukonjoe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO