lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
Gone52
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 eats through coils

Okay I’m back. I solved every issue with the cart except this now. The cart runs great with a brand new coil… for 10-15 mins. Then the coils all burn out. Anyone heard of this before?
Gone52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G1 eats through coils

What is your battery voltage with the engine running? What kind of coils are you using and where are you getting them?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #3
Gone52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
What is your battery voltage with the engine running? What kind of coils are you using and where are you getting them?
Battery voltage with the engine running is 13.2 and it burnt up the original Yamaha one from 1984, a new OEM one and a Chinese eBay one. Another China one on the way. I’ve tried an OEM CDI and a stock one.. same issue.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:59 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If the engine is poorly grounded it could cause it to damage a coil too.

If not that, then I’d have to defer to slo or mikeasis as they’re a lot more familiar with this cart
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:25 AM   #5
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Put a shevy HEI system on it that’s what I guy did with is Harley cart that had points problem’s
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
Gone52
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon willis View Post
Put a shevy HEI system on it that’s what I guy did with is Harley cart that had points problem’s
Is there a write up on here about how he did it? There’s not much to these in terms of “points”. I do have a shovelhead at home that I converted to electronic but I didn’t even know that was possible with these haha
Old 07-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #7
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can’t remember the post but I was just joking around about the HEI I’ve seen replacement CDI parts I would check the wire harness and check that coil is not grounding out
Old 07-09-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know that the OG cdi parts are the best like my EZGO it’s a 83 never had a spark problem ever so I would get OME parts and make shore that every thing is factory speck because Yamaha build’s good engine and parts
Old 07-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
Gone52
Not Yet Wild

Update: the new China coil works but stops working after the cart warms up. I put the OEM yamaha one back in and same thing. It’s when the cart gets warmed up, it stops sparking. Any idea what causes THIS now? I’ve checked all the wires, connections, and hit everything with a wire brush and dielectric grease. I even ran a separate ground from the coil direct to the battery so I know it’s not that…
Old 07-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #10
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ohm test your stator per the service manual listed at the bottom of my post especially if you can do it after it acts up. Sounds like something is breaking down when it’s getting warm. If it passes then suspect cdi
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdi, coil, ignition, spark, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha