lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Tbone76
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger will not engage when plugged into cart

Hello all!!! New to the forum and this is my first post so I will try to be thorough and not to long winded.

My fiance and I received a 2000(we think) txt from her father. He said it was in great shape...... 6 new batteries and some other fixes later, it seems to be getting better, which leads to my question.

Took the cart out last night for a few holes of golf and when I put it away and plugged the charger in the charger did not kick on. We have had a few summer storms blow through in the last couple of days. My irrigation system is plugged into the same outlet and is functioning fine.

It is a Power Wise charger. Could the storm have killed my charger? Or is there an inexpensive fix, or just a blown fuse that could need replaced? Or could it be something big, like the charger is kaput, the DC recepticle is shot, or something else that I may be missing.

So much for being thorough and not long winded.

Any help or advice you guys can give, I would appreciate. We did not anticipate receiving a gift that we would have to put so much money into within the first two weeks.
Tbone76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: Charger will not engage when plugged into cart

Welcome to the forum Tbone76.........................

For starters, since the outlet is good, wiggle the plug and see if the charger needle moves.

Also, When you plug the charger into the cart, do you hear a relay click once after you plug it in.

Also, if you have replaced batteries or repaired any connections, make sure the wires from the back of the charger plug, under the seat, are still connected to the batteries.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Tbone76
Not Yet Wild

When I plug the charger into the cart, I do not hear a click of any sort coming from the charger. Usually I do. I hear that click and then the needle moves and the "hum" of the charge taking place.

All connections seem to be in tact and corrosion free (new battery cables). If it helps, it would charge without issue prior to the weekend
Old 07-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

The problem will be in the charger. Even with the charger unplugged from the wall outlet, the charger relay should click when plugging it into the cart.

All chargers are repairable. It's probably either the relay or the circuit board.

There is a way to jumper the relay to force it to charge but this is only an emergency and temporary fix because the charger is automatic and it will no longer be automatic if the relay is jumped. Yes, it will ruin your batteries if left on to charge this way.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Tbone76
Not Yet Wild

Are these repairs easy for the "common" layman, or is it better left to the pros?
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

It's kinda like working on a television set.
Anybody can repair them................ It just takes sombody that knows what they are doing to troubleshoot them down to the bad component.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

What's the pack voltage?
I know you said new batteries but the charger requires a minimum voltage to activate. I think around 28v. Double check all your cables/connections. Just one bad one will muck it all up. I think there is a 50A fuse in the PowerWise charger. Have you checked it?

Good luck.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Tbone76
Not Yet Wild

I have not checked the inside of the charger yet to see if that 50A fuse is shot. Will more than likely not have a chance until Friday afternoon. They are new Trojan batteries that are in most golf carts here in Pinehurst, NC. The T-105 I think it is?

It would charge without issues up until this weekend, then it quit. I went out to the cart monday afternoon, took it off the charger, took her out for an hour or so, came back home, put it back on the charger and nothing happened.

On a side note, I notice the charger has a a bit of wiggle room when plugged into the cart. Is that normal? Never made issue of it, because it would charge just fine up until now.

Thank you all for your help thus far. It is very useful information, and hopefully saves me yet another trip to the EZGO dealer
Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Tbone76
Not Yet Wild

Here is an update.... Last weekend I opened up the charger and checked the fuse and looks like it was shot. Bought a new fuse yesterday and tried to put it in and still no charge.... Before I look elsewhere for the cause, I am not very confident in my install job on the fuse (I am a bit of an idiot ). I took the charger apart over the weekend and forgot what went where. Does anyone have a diagram to help, or could possibly direct me to put the pieces back together?

Thank you again for all your help.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Road-e
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If you go to the search and type in power wise youll get like6 or so pages of info on these chargers, including pics and diagrams.
I would get a volt meter and check pack voltage first. As mentioned the charger must see at least 28 volts to activate.
If not youll have to charge the batteries two at a time with a 12 volt car charger to get the voltage back up.
If you do have at leat 28 volts you can jump the relay inside the charger to test the circuit board.
Be carefull unplug charger at the cart and from 120 volt outlet, jump the 2 wires at relay then plug the cart in then the 120 volt.
If the charger comes on, the problem is most likely in the circuit board , relay or diodes.
Road-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO