lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
JSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Generic Solenoid Question

I have a 96' DS and got a quick question concerning solenoids. Background my cart has 14 Nissan Leaf batteries running 58.8v with LIPO charger and BMS. Last week I changed my 400 amp Curtis controller to an Alltrax 600 amp series controller and did the MCOR4 conversion. Everything worked great.

This weekend I upgraded all the cables to 2 gauge and replaced my 200 amp HD solenoid to a 400 amp HD solenoid and now I get nothing. I've gone over the wiring a dozen times so I'm pretty sure I am good but I get nothing when I press the throttle. I have the correct diode and resistor installed (verified orientation - ring towards Battery +).

I will go over the wiring again but the one thing I'm curious about is when I check the voltage on the solenoid I get 57.8 volts on the B+ side and 55.4 volts on the opposite terminal going to controller B+(key on or off). Is that normal? No electrical expert here but I would expect the same voltage on those terminals. Am I wrong?
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Generic Solenoid Question

That is normal. The "Precharge Resistor" puts voltage on the controller side of the solenoid when it's not energized. You need to trace out the circuit that energizes the solenoid. (small terminals) Have you bypassed the OBC if it has one? The OBC can keep the solenoid from energizing.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
JSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I took the OBC out when I did the leaf upgrade and everything was working great. So I had to mess up one wire somewhere. I have the yellow wire from the OBC to the negative post on the solenoid (small terminal on opposite side of B+). I don’t seem to be getting any signal to the KSI input to the controller. Full voltage to the key switch. Key switch output leads to the MCOR. I can hear the MCOR clicking when I press the throttle but doesn’t seem to be sending the signal to the controller. I believe the light on the Alltrax should light up with the key on but I get nothing.

When I plug the computer in to check the settings it is set to club car which is right and it blinks 7 times. Once I unplug the computer I get no lights key on or off.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The alltrax won’t light up until you depress the pedal. At least that’s how it’s been in my carts.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hook up your laptop to the Alltrax and monitor stuff. It will tell you what is happening.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll bet that you put the 48v supply wire (I believe it's pink) to the wrong side of the solenoid. Either that or you blew a fuse.
Edit: There shouldn't be a precharge resistor on a Alltrax.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I missed that - Alltrax controller has the precharge resistor built in - you do not need one on the solenoid. You do need the diode though and it's critical that it's in the correct direction.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #8
JSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When I hook my laptop up it sees the controller and I can modify the settings. It blinks 7 times over and over which is the club car throttle so that is correct. But I get no other lights or flashing sequences. When I hit start on the monitoring tab it looks like it starts but the only thing that shows up is the voltage.

I was told you need the precharge resistor for the SR controllers. Definitely have the diode installed correctly per the drawing.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:09 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You are probably right about the SR controller. My experience is with XCT controllers. Anyway, it would not hurt to have it there. At least with the XCT monitor, you can see all of the inputs and what their state is. Like Key on, throttle switch on, etc. It might help you figure out what signal is missing. It is up to the controller to activate the solenoid if all of the required switches are in the correct positions. You should also see throttle position in the monitor. (if SR is like XCT)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car