lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
chris1434
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2004 DS Charger won't turn off

Wanted to provide an update after a few days of consistency. To recap, for some reason the battery charger stopped turning on when plugged in. Reset the OBC and it started charging. However, it then wouldn't turn off. Over several days, I kept checking on it, plugging it in and checking voltage at various times, driving it to run the batteries down and then plugging it back in.

A few days ago, I went to check on it and it had turned off. Drove it around, plugged it back in and it turned on, charged for several hours and turned off. Have been able to repeat this 3 times so I am hoping I am back in business. I do believe the batteries are weak and possibly had gotten "overly" weak when the charger wasn't running (and I hadn't noticed).

I also read another post where David (TahoeDawg) mentioned a computer on an older model cart charging for a really long time the first time the cart was charged (possibly due to needing to learn the batteries). I am wondering if that could have been the reason mine charged for so long after the OBC was reset. Could the first time after being reset be just like the first time period???

Anyway, charger seems to be okay and OBC seems to be okay. I suspect I may need to replace the batteries soon but all is good for now. Thanks to everyone for their input and help. This forum and you guys are great.
chris1434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1434 View Post
Wanted to provide an update after a few days of consistency. To recap, for some reason the battery charger stopped turning on when plugged in. Reset the OBC and it started charging. However, it then wouldn't turn off. Over several days, I kept checking on it, plugging it in and checking voltage at various times, driving it to run the batteries down and then plugging it back in.

A few days ago, I went to check on it and it had turned off. Drove it around, plugged it back in and it turned on, charged for several hours and turned off. Have been able to repeat this 3 times so I am hoping I am back in business. I do believe the batteries are weak and possibly had gotten "overly" weak when the charger wasn't running (and I hadn't noticed).

I also read another post where David (TahoeDawg) mentioned a computer on an older model cart charging for a really long time the first time the cart was charged (possibly due to needing to learn the batteries). I am wondering if that could have been the reason mine charged for so long after the OBC was reset. Could the first time after being reset be just like the first time period???

Anyway, charger seems to be okay and OBC seems to be okay. I suspect I may need to replace the batteries soon but all is good for now. Thanks to everyone for their input and help. This forum and you guys are great.
Yes this is a possibility. Just keep an eye on your battery voltage from time to time. Batteries eventually get to a point that they won't reach the cut-off voltage.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey Chris,
having the same issue with my 2001 DS. My cart stays at our camp, and I leave it plugged in during the week while we are away based on the assumption that the charger will shut off after 16 hours (I read the Dr. Bob gospel on CC ds chargers). Well, came back on Friday night and the charger is running at 5 amps and boiling like crazy. I imediately shut it off and let the pack cool down for a few hours. I then checked the water level and confirmed my fears - the pack cooked pretty good with most cells down below the plates. I added almost a gallon across the 24 cells, then put back on the charger and it ran for 17 hours and was stuck charging at 5 amps. No auto shut off. I'll be checking the voltage a little later and also the electrolye levels. I'm real worried that my OBC is dead and took my battery pack with it when it went. Guess I'll know soon enough. So much for the seat I was considering...
Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need to check the pack voltage under charge. If the batteries cannot be made to reach the cut off voltage then the charger will not shut off. Cut off voltage is about 62v (readings vary depending upon your meter).
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
quick5
Not Yet Wild

unplug it it should shut off then.
quick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is this kind of advice based on experience,ignorance, or just being a wise guy? I think he asked a sensible question because he was having a problem and was asking for help!
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looks like quick5 is off to a slow start
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #18
chris1434
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If it doesn't shut off then, he is really onto something big

Mine started back working and is still working. I know the batteries are weak and expect I will have to change them within the next 6 - 12 months. I believe the pack just got overly discharged somehow and it took several long charges to get them back where they would shut off. Again, weak batteries to start with didn't help anything.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #19
Notch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Voltage is at 58.1 after 11 hours of charging (using a cheesy Craftsman meter). I'll let it charge 5 more hours and test again. scottyb, you say it needs to be at 62v? TDawgz71 thought it was 58.3. Are you guys sure that it needs to reach a certain voltage or it won't shut down? I was under the impression that 16 hours was the max charge cycle duration for safety reasons, which makes sense. Another week and my camp probably would have gone up, and took the whole campground with it - no rain in weeks! Anyone think an OBC reset is worth a shot? Hopefully a few charge-discharge cycles and like Chris mine will return to normal behavior, but even if it does I've lost confidence in leaving it plugged in while I'm gone for extended periods. Thanks for help guys.
Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
chris1434
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was also of the understanding that 16 hours was the max (and it makes sense that there should be one for safety reasons) but mine did not shut down. I did an OBC reset but mine was not turning on so I figured I had minimal downside risk.

Do you know the condition of the batteries before the problem started? Any chance they were getting weak? Since your pack voltage is not going high enough to turn the charger off, I would focus on the batteries first. Even though the batteries may have been damaged by the low water level and excessive charging, I would be inclined to reset the OBC, and run them through several charge cycles (let it run for 12+ hours and then unplug) while monitoring the pack voltage. Good luck and I hope it comes back to life.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car