lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Corky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 4 awg vs 2 awg cables

I'm in the process of doing the 36/48 conversion on my DS.

I have a 550 amp CTS Reman controller (Curtis). I've ordered an HD F&R switch, as well as a 1000/400 solenoid.

My question is: Do 2awg cables make that much of a difference over 4awg? I've heard, and it makes sense that the only advantage of the larger wire is temperature. So I'm wondering if the 2awg is worth the extra cost.

Also, any preference as to who makes/sells the best cable sets?

Thanks
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Corky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 4 awg vs 2 awg cables

Everyone must be working hard.....Like I should be.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Pretty quiet out there. I am told that SERIES carts benefit most from 2 awg cables (torque/hill climbing) because the motor/cable distances in a series set-up are quite a bit longer. If you are buying a cable set, make sure you buy one that is cut to match your specific cart's dimensions. I recommend buying from a site sponsor - one who can furnish the OBC thru connector if stepping up to 2 awg.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with joesam. A very smart guy on the ezgo side calculated the difference in voltage drop between 2g and 4g wires over the typical length of a wire set in a series cart. Small numbers but an advantage in the 2g set.
Also I believe some speed control manufactures are recommending 2g for controllers of 500amps and up.

A site sponsor (cartsunlimited.net) has some of these wire sets on sale including the OBC stud kit. I have some and they are first class. Not cheap, however. Right now I see that there is only a $20 price difference between 2g or 4g. For $20, I would certainly go for the 2g. My opinion.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Corky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah thanks joe. I was kind of leaning toward 2awg just in case I ever wanted to upgrade anything else in the future.

I'm learning as I go, what does the OBC thru connector do?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #6
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

It lets you use 2awg cable and uses a brass stud to pass thru the OBC and connect the 2awg on the other side. The hole is only big enough for 6 awg and some 4 awg. BTW the hole cannot be made bigger without damage. Or, some do away with the OBC and buy a DPI Charger.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html at bottom of page
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

2ga all the way with a controller of that size. I was 4ga with a 700 amp controller and went to 2ga and have seen temp difference of the cables and battery posts. I made my own cables and used roughly 29 feet on my series cart. I also turned 3 of my batteries around so all my cables run on the outside and do not cross over battery fill caps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Battery lay out.png (12.1 KB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Corky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

On Board Charger, got it. I don't have one on my cart, the plug goes in the front next to the F&R switch.

You got your cables at carts unlinmited?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Corky
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That looks like an excellent idea swan. I like the looks of your cart. I ordered an Allsports 6" Super Sport, and 23x10x12's. I'm down to the cable set left to order. I believe I'll listen to experience and go with 2awg. Did you crimp your connectors or solder them? There's a welder supply shop not too far out of my way, but I'm not sure it would'nt be more cost effective to buy them pre-cut.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
On Board Charger, got it. I don't have one on my cart, the plug goes in the front next to the F&R switch.

You got your cables at carts unlinmited?
OBC= On board computer. You may or may not have one but whether you do or not the charge port as you described is there regardless.

I'm thinking 36v carts didn't have an OBC but I'm an ezgo guy so what do I know.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car