lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Default Downside of an RXV vs a PDS?

Hi all,

I looked for previous threads to try and get some info too, but here's what I'm wondering.

I've narrowed in on buying a 2008 or 2011 PDS. However, I've found a decent deal on a 48v 2009 RXV.

Now I'm wondering if there is a downside to the RXV. Here's what I think I know:

- The RXV has auto-breaking, no drums or shoes.
- You need a computer to tell you what's wrong with the RXV
- You don't use a chip in the RXV, you program it (so the show would need to do it)
- I think I can get away with larger tires on both without a lift, to a point.

(please correct me if I'm wrong and add anything I don't know yet :-)

Does the auto-breaking have disadvantages, or is it just a net positive? I thought I read that it does. Will it cost me more or less in the long run?

They were going to charge me $50 to put in the chip on the PDS, or I'd try and do it myself. What would a reprogramming the RXV cost? Is the percentage of speed improvement the same as using the chip?

Thanks for all the info. Moving too **** fast but getting close!

LBB
LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Downside of an RXV vs a PDS?

You can buy the pds chips for as low as 6.00 each, and install it yourself.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

PDS is marketing speak for "precision drive system". Means a TXT cart with a sepex motor. TXT is the cart model. RXV is a cart model.

A 2008 TXT with PDS is a 36v cart. It's speed is restricted by the controller. It can be adjusted by changing a plug on the controller. This is what you are calling the "chip". It is cheap and easily done by the user. This allows the cart to reach ~17-19 MPH under optimum conditions on standard 18" tires. Torque is not affected. There is still potential in the cart with a controller and wire change only.

2010 was a change over year for EZGO. 2010 TXT's can be either 36v or 48v. PDS marketing speak is no longer used. 2011 and up are all 48v. These carts can have speed adjusted also but requires specialized equipment. Dealers and/or independents can do this. Charge is variable. In my area there is no charge if you buy the cart from them. Adjusted speed is the same 17-19 MPH again on the standard 18" tires. The 48v cart will hold much better speed on inclines and with extra weight like rear seat and passengers. Still lots of potential in this cart with a controller/wire change only.

I have an older TXT(36v) that I acquired new. I converted it to 48v (~$800.00 plus batteries. I also have a 2012 RXV. It is stock but has 20" tires.

TXT at 36v: top speed of 17MPH on level pavement. 12MPH up test hill.(17.5" tires)
TXT at 48v: top speed of 22MPH on level pavement. 16MPH up test hill.
RXV: top speed of 22MPH on level pavement. 20-21 up test hill. (20" tires)

The TXT will out accelerate the RXV substantially off the line. Will get a couple of cart lengths advantage and then the RXV comes on strong. It will catch it quickly and they will stabilize at about the same speed. If there is any incline at all the RXV will just walk away. I can repeat the test but adding an adult passenger to the RXV and the same thing will happen. It's not affected by weight as much as the TXT is.

Opinions: Changing my TXT from 36 to 48v transformed the cart. I would not ever go back to 36v. There is credible evidence on this forum of the performance boost obtained by the replacement of the stock controller on both 36v and 48v TXT with the latest model Alltrax controller. So, adding approximately $500 for the controller on top of the cost for a 48v TXT and you have a substantial cart. The TXT is a proven tough and reliable chassis. It is still user friendly for repair and modification. Parts and bling are readily available.

Lets talk RXV for a minute. Only been around since 2008. Some early problems were addressed in 2010 and 2011 models. 2012 was a change to Curtis controllers and some other design changes in the electrics. Opinion: I would stay with 2012 or newer.
Driving impressions of the RXV when compared to my 48v TXT: Acceleration off the line is very soft but once rolling power comes on like a turbo. " Seat of the pants" it feels very powerful. Doesn't slow much if at all on inclines. I'm in Atlanta so no mountains or even steep hills really. All braking is done by the motor. Doesn't coast in the traditional sense. Motor will bring cart to a stop even going downhill. Using the brake pedal enhances motor braking substantially. Feels like power brakes. Takes less physical effort to stop the cart compared to any cart with mechanical brakes. Parking brake is on the motor. Electrically operated but mechanical otherwise. Operates automatically when cart stops. You just step off the cart and do whatever. To go again just step on the gas. It will spoil you.
Some negatives with the RXV: Not user friendly for diagnostics or repair. Electrical modification like lights, sound etc is possible but not for the unknowledgeable. The cart has a POST (power on system test) on start up like a computer. It checks the parking brake,brake and accelerator pedal position and other things when key is moved to a run position. Any discrepancies and the cart is disabled but you won't know why for sure. Have to be diagnosed by someone with a scanner (dealer or independent). The parking brake is actually used during panic stops. You have to push the brake pedal pretty far for this to happen. The cart is not designed to do this regularly and if you do you will destroy the brake and the cart will not run. Not a problem if driven sensibly.

Summary: I compared my RXV to my TXT in the environment I operate in. A modern TXT with the aforementioned Alltrax controller will out perform my TXT even though both are 48v. My experience may not be typical.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
PDS is marketing speak for "precision drive system". Means a TXT cart with a sepex motor. TXT is the cart model. RXV is a cart model.

A 2008 TXT with PDS is a 36v cart. It's speed is restricted by the controller. It can be adjusted by changing a plug on the controller. This is what you are calling the "chip". It is cheap and easily done by the user. This allows the cart to reach ~17-19 MPH under optimum conditions on standard 18" tires. Torque is not affected. There is still potential in the cart with a controller and wire change only.

2010 was a change over year for EZGO. 2010 TXT's can be either 36v or 48v. PDS marketing speak is no longer used. 2011 and up are all 48v. These carts can have speed adjusted also but requires specialized equipment. Dealers and/or independents can do this. Charge is variable. In my area there is no charge if you buy the cart from them. Adjusted speed is the same 17-19 MPH again on the standard 18" tires. The 48v cart will hold much better speed on inclines and with extra weight like rear seat and passengers. Still lots of potential in this cart with a controller/wire change only.

I have an older TXT(36v) that I acquired new. I converted it to 48v (~$800.00 plus batteries. I also have a 2012 RXV. It is stock but has 20" tires.

TXT at 36v: top speed of 17MPH on level pavement. 12MPH up test hill.(17.5" tires)
TXT at 48v: top speed of 22MPH on level pavement. 16MPH up test hill.
RXV: top speed of 22MPH on level pavement. 20-21 up test hill. (20" tires)

The TXT will out accelerate the RXV substantially off the line. Will get a couple of cart lengths advantage and then the RXV comes on strong. It will catch it quickly and they will stabilize at about the same speed. If there is any incline at all the RXV will just walk away. I can repeat the test but adding an adult passenger to the RXV and the same thing will happen. It's not affected by weight as much as the TXT is.

Opinions: Changing my TXT from 36 to 48v transformed the cart. I would not ever go back to 36v. There is credible evidence on this forum of the performance boost obtained by the replacement of the stock controller on both 36v and 48v TXT with the latest model Alltrax controller. So, adding approximately $500 for the controller on top of the cost for a 48v TXT and you have a substantial cart. The TXT is a proven tough and reliable chassis. It is still user friendly for repair and modification. Parts and bling are readily available.

Lets talk RXV for a minute. Only been around since 2008. Some early problems were addressed in 2010 and 2011 models. 2012 was a change to Curtis controllers and some other design changes in the electrics. Opinion: I would stay with 2012 or newer.
Driving impressions of the RXV when compared to my 48v TXT: Acceleration off the line is very soft but once rolling power comes on like a turbo. " Seat of the pants" it feels very powerful. Doesn't slow much if at all on inclines. I'm in Atlanta so no mountains or even steep hills really. All braking is done by the motor. Doesn't coast in the traditional sense. Motor will bring cart to a stop even going downhill. Using the brake pedal enhances motor braking substantially. Feels like power brakes. Takes less physical effort to stop the cart compared to any cart with mechanical brakes. Parking brake is on the motor. Electrically operated but mechanical otherwise. Operates automatically when cart stops. You just step off the cart and do whatever. To go again just step on the gas. It will spoil you.
Some negatives with the RXV: Not user friendly for diagnostics or repair. Electrical modification like lights, sound etc is possible but not for the unknowledgeable. The cart has a POST (power on system test) on start up like a computer. It checks the parking brake,brake and accelerator pedal position and other things when key is moved to a run position. Any discrepancies and the cart is disabled but you won't know why for sure. Have to be diagnosed by someone with a scanner (dealer or independent). The parking brake is actually used during panic stops. You have to push the brake pedal pretty far for this to happen. The cart is not designed to do this regularly and if you do you will destroy the brake and the cart will not run. Not a problem if driven sensibly.

Summary: I compared my RXV to my TXT in the environment I operate in. A modern TXT with the aforementioned Alltrax controller will out perform my TXT even though both are 48v. My experience may not be typical.
Thanks, what an excellent write up about the differences between TXT and RXV. I don't want to hijack the thread but do you know if my 2Five also uses the parking brake in emergency situations or do the disk brakes handle all hard stoping?
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you can manage to press the brake pedal on a 2five far enough, it will also lock the motor brake. BUT, this is very unlikely to happen, because with 4 wheel disc brakes, you should already be meeting the windshield by this time.

I love the avatar!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #6
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for avatar compliment and quick reply.

I have been wanting to stomp on the 2Five brakes to feel how they behave in a serious stopping situation...but I don't want to engage the "emergency" park brake (and possibly damage the parking brake). Maybe I'll do some moderate stopping and call it a day!

Would I feel something if I pushed hard enough activate the emergency park brake? I.E Does it lock up the rear wheels or feel weird when the emergency park brake engages?
Old 12-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

I want to add this about RXV acceleration, it is adjustable in both models (plus 2five). In 2012 & prior models it's limited to "low", "medium", "high" adjustments. But in newer "Curtis" models, it's fully adjustable to dump full power in as little as .1 second if you set it that way. The upgraded 350 amp controller in an Rxv can be tuned to run with some pretty big dogs. It ran within a car length of a Big series motor cart I also built (Spm600 series YDRE). I'm sure the 16.99 gears in the Rxv helped it "a little". If you have a "curtis" Rxv and want to crank the ACCELERATION, that's a secret I will share with anyone who wants to know. (be warned, it will jump right into the wall of your garage if you are not careful & mash the pedal to the floor).
Old 12-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
Thanks for avatar compliment and quick reply.

I have been wanting to stomp on the 2Five brakes to feel how they behave in a serious stopping situation...but I don't want to engage the "emergency" park brake (and possibly damage the parking brake). Maybe I'll do some moderate stopping and call it a day!

Would I feel something if I pushed hard enough activate the emergency park brake? I.E Does it lock up the rear wheels or feel weird when the emergency park brake engages?
Yes, it locks the rear wheels. You likely won't be able to get it to do it (if your brake cable is adjusted right). You should be stopped before you could get it to do it. You can do a non-destructive test to see for yourself how far the pedal would need to be pressed. Come to a normal stop, then (quickly, before you hear the normal click a second or 2 after stopping) mash the brake pedal, it will click, then click again when pedal is released. That was the system locking the motor brake as if the cart had not stopped. The switch on the pedal is a physical disconnect for the motor brake in the result of failure of the normal systems.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm very happy with my stock 2Five acceleration. It's almost feels strange how it maintains speed at any hill you throw at it. IMO the gas pedal on the 2Five/RXV acts more like a speed dial than a traditional throttle in a car or ATV. For example, if you push the pedal half way and the cart gets up to say 15 MPH on level ground then when you encounter a hill the cart maintains the 15mph without pressing further on the pedal like traditional gas pedals would require. I'm sure the RXV acts that way too.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #10
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yes, it locks the rear wheels. You likely won't be able to get it to do it (if your brake cable is adjusted right). You should be stopped before you could get it to do it. You can do a non-destructive test to see for yourself how far the pedal would need to be pressed. Come to a normal stop, then (quickly, before you hear the normal click a second or 2 after stopping) mash the brake pedal, it will click, then click again when pedal is released. That was the system locking the motor brake as if the cart had not stopped. The switch on the pedal is a physical disconnect for the motor brake in the result of failure of the normal systems.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO