lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
CooperRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 EZ Go RXV runs very slowly

Our 2009 EZ Go RXV ran like a champ until last week. Overnight it started to inch forward (and in reverse) slowly with a bit of a grinding sound that made me believe that the auto brake might be malfunctioning... (More on that later.) Our RXV is 48V system with 4 US Battery 12V XC2 batteries. I charge the cart with a DPI Accusense charger.

I found and repaired a bad battery connection from battery 3 to 4. The batteries take a full charge and test at 13.3-13.4V. I disconnected all of the cables, borrowed a buddy's Snap-On load tester and tested each of the batteries: 1 drops to 11.27, 2 drops to 10.89, 3 drops to 11.21, 4 drops to 11.25 after 10 seconds of load... They seem to recover quickly and return to 12.5 to 12.7V.

A neighbor had a new RXV auto brake, sealed in a box, so I swapped it out for mine just to see... no difference... the cart just inches forward and the same in reverse.

when I put the cart in tow mode and turn the key to neutral, it rolls freely...

Solenoid?

Other ideas?

Thanks! - Bill
CooperRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
southtexasgolf
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2009 EZ Go RXV runs very slowly

Did you make sure not to over tighten the new brake when installing it? If you tighten too much the brake won't work properly. If that's good my next bet would be the bearing encoder or wire harness issues. Almost all RXVs I get in my shop with locked/dragging brakes are fixed with just a new motor brake.
southtexasgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a very similar problem and went through the same tests you did. My cart inches forward and reverse. Ran fine one day and then gave out all the sudden. I tested parking brake, batteries and mine don't drop to what yours do... seems suspect of motor brake.

If you find a solution, please follow up and post it here, I'm just about complete on the upgrades and now cannot use it. Thank you.
LSU MykuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
teamscion2004@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Absolutly is the Temp Sensor in the motor. Have had several lately with the same issue. Now if any of you could help me out with my issue, it would be greatly appreciated. I need to know what wires connect to what wires on both side of the 4 wire motor harness. I have red blue black and white on 1 side, and orange, blue/white, black and white on the other. Accidentally pulled harness apart and don't know what goes to what?

Last edited by teamscion2004@yahoo.com; 10-14-2016 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Forgot to ask a question of the group
teamscion2004@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
CooperRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I replaced the bearing encoder (612595 - EZ Go Bearing Encoder Service Kit) and this resolved the problem.

The bearing encoder lets the controller know if the motor is going too fast and, if it thinks so, puts the cart in a "limp home" mode.

Evidently the bearing encoder on this cart had failed!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
CooperRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! I did check that! My problem turned out to be a bad encoder bearing. Not nearly as simple as replacing the motor brake, but I got it done and the cart runs like new again!

Tags
auto brake, batteries, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO