lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #91
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: New Batteries, Charger stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I'm using a 12 volt battery for accessories. Mounted up front. I ran 1 wire to the terminal shown above to make a common ground for all the lights at the rear. Removed old 16-12 reducer. (Why did they ever use that?)
It was thought to be the right fit in '95 when I first started seeing them pop up in the 48v carts.... You did not see 48vto12v converters then and CC had these made for theirs. It wasn't too long after the IQ carts came out, I think when the Precedents and DS's went back to 6x8's, that the 48vto12v's came around in the carts.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 PM   #92
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

They weren’t needed on 36v carts because two batteries in series provided 12v.
Same on carts that use 12v batteries.

But carts with 8v batteries needed a 16 to 12 reducer to provide 12v for most accessories so they wouldn’t fry running 17v+ when the batteries were fully charged.

No, it’s not good for the pack balance. They knew that, and recommended testing batteries on a semi-annual basis to determine SOC. The batteries are then removed and matched with those from other carts with similar SOC.

It wasn’t really until Golf carts became a popular public luxury that 36-12 and 48-12 reducers made a big appearance. Because regular joe operating one cart doesn’t have thirty other carts around to trade and match batteries with.
You could move the batteries around so you’re pulling the energy from one pair for a few months, another pair a few months, etc. But let’s face it, almost nobody is going to do that.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #93
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
They weren’t needed on 36v carts because two batteries in series provided 12v.
Same on carts that use 12v batteries.

But carts with 8v batteries needed a 16 to 12 reducer to provide 12v for most accessories so they wouldn’t fry running 17v+ when the batteries were fully charged.

No, it’s not good for the pack balance. They knew that, and recommended testing batteries on a semi-annual basis to determine SOC. The batteries are then removed and matched with those from other carts with similar SOC.

It wasn’t really until Golf carts became a popular public luxury that 36-12 and 48-12 reducers made a big appearance. Because regular joe operating one cart doesn’t have thirty other carts around to trade and match batteries with.
You could move the batteries around so you’re pulling the energy from one pair for a few months, another pair a few months, etc. But let’s face it, almost nobody is going to do that.
Right. But I would have thought that by that time the factories would have come out with reducers using the whole pack.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car