lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
fonz3482
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Well I pulled the trigger! 440 kawasaki Sled motor for my 90' ezgo

Hello everyone,
I recently posted some questions in the general big block forum on installing a sled motor in my 1990 ezgo, didn't really recieve much positive feedback, but I like a challenge I guess. I picked up a complete kawasaki 440 fan cooled motor, with wiring, carb, exhaust hedder, exhaust pipe, clutch, fuel pump, electric start,and cdi ignition box. I payed $200 for everything and now its time to shoehorn it in there. Questions I have, I believe the current govener cable hooks to the secondary clutch?? Do I just eliminate the cable now? Also I believe Im loosing reverse, but I've read you can buy a certain replacement rearend to regain the reverse gear, what rearend am I looking for? Another concern is my 1 wheel peel rearend. I've heard of guys opening the rearend and welding the spidergears to make it a locked rearend, Is doing such a thing a reliable, and good money saving idea? Or does it make the rearend a gernade that can blow up anytime? Any input would be great, thanks!
fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
nipper310
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Well I pulled the trigger! 440 kawasaki Sled motor for my 90' ezgo

I would love to try that, good luck.
nipper310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Well I pulled the trigger! 440 kawasaki Sled motor for my 90' ezgo

welding a rear end is as reliable as the welds. You need to heat the gears before you weld them to keep the strength. As far as reverse on this forum I found a thread where a guy wired his sled motor to run backwards like the stock cart motor. 2 strokes will run in either direction just fine. And as always don't forget the pics.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you weld the gears,Use Nickel-Rod if you can,also,weld some pieces of bolt in between the teeth,this will help bind it up,and create a stronger joint when welded.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
fonz3482
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well I have a friend who welds proffesionally, but 1st im going to try to find a rearend. I guess certain years and style ezgo's have a rearend that has like a gearbox for forward and reverse in the rearend itself, rather than stop and restarting the motor in reverse. Then I'll have my friend weld it up so I get better traction.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Any 4 stroke rear end will have forward and reverse. But you will still have to shut off the motor to change directions. If there is any load from the engine you will end up grinding it. I have a 18hp briggs and I have to shut it off to change direction. Unless you pay for an expensive roller clutch motor that's the only way you can shift a cart with the motor running.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
fonz3482
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info JcXtreme72. I was unaware of that, but I guess If I really needed reverse, I could shut the motor down and turn it back on.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Unless you are willing to spend north of $500 for a roller clutch for that motor you will have to shut it down. And if you have to shut it down any ways might as well wire it to fire backwards so you don't have to spend money on an axle that won't get you what you want. If you do just wire the motor to fire backwards you'll want to use the stock Starter/Gen unit and that means you can have it start when you hit the gas peddle of shut off when you let off the gas. That makes it very very bareable when changing to forward to reverse.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
fonz3482
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Im not sure if I can use the stock ezgo starter/generator. I believe the kawasaki starter turns the motor over using a gear that splines into the flywheel/clutch of the motor where the ezgo uses a belt. I'd have to check further into it I guess!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have seen some people adapt the pulley for that belt and I've also seen them run the factory clutch with modded weights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps