lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Wire upgrade?

Now that we are rolling again, on to the next dollar depleting project

Can someone please explain to me the wire upgrade? I read about welding wire (?) and 4 gauge...

How do I know what I have now and what type of performance difference will a change of gauge make?

Thanks!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Re: Wire upgrade?

This is the wire I have now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120508_074647.jpg (68.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Electric motors are stupid. The will suck current(amps/volts) until they spin so fast they will self destruct. We want to provide that current but in a controlled way so we have variable speed while preventing the suicidal motor from having it's way. Starts with a good set of properly maintained and charged matched batteries. This is the heart of the cart. We want to minimize the restriction of the current flow from the batteries to the motor except in the speed control. The path from the batteries to the motor includes the power wires, F/R switch(in a series cart), solenoid and speed control. So, bigger wires, heavy duty F/R switch, higher rated solenoid and higher amp rated speed control facilitate the current flow.
You just improved the speed control---done. Typically, carts come with 6ga power wires. Generally we say for your use with a 400amp controller 4 ga is sufficient. Smaller number equals bigger wire. Welding cable because it is multi-strand--not solid. More efficient and bendable so usable in our cramped spaces. Resistance is heat----bad. As you ride around nothing should get warm except speed control and motor. Warm wires, F/R switch, solenoid = not big enough for your use.
You have a series wound motor. Amps=torque, volts=speed. You want the amps to flow to the motor to make the torque to turn the big gears(lower numerically) and or big tires(diameter) which in turn make the speed. In a series cart, bigger wires and speed control do not increase speed directly but are the foundation for speed modifications.
In my opinion you should start thinking 48V to get consistent 20-25 mph with good power to climb hills and carry stuff/people.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

More info here: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Thanks Kernal!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

I lucky enough to have extra 1/0 1000 strand welding cable in my wire pile so I made all my big wires out of it. Eventhough alot of wire will work, welding cable is the best to use for batteries/motor wires.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
................How do I know what I have now and what type of performance difference will a change of gauge make?
I'm pretty sure that is 6Ga and being marked "A2" it is probably nearly pristine compared to what the interconnecting cables on the batteries must look like.

As for performance difference, like Kernal said Volts=Speed in a series cart.
Based on the intrinsic resistance of 20 feet of the copper wire alone at 400A, you loose about 3.2V with 6Ga, 2.0V with 4Ga and 1.3V with 2Ga.

If your cable lugs and connections are corroded, you are loosing even more than what I listed.

Going from an old set of 6Ga to new set of 4 or 2 gauge, you will get an increase in torque and possibly a slight increase in speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Sweet, I'm in!!

Current batt cables are actually very good shape, I believe they were recently replaced. But if they're not 4ga and 4 will help - I'm down for the change up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120427_104050.jpg (189.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
Sweet, I'm in!!

Current batt cables are actually very good shape, I believe they were recently replaced. But if they're not 4ga and 4 will help - I'm down for the change up!
Me personally if you are going to change them go ahead and go to 2ga..This will prevent you from having to change them again as your cart gets wilder
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Interesting fix on the left-rear negative post.
My original cables looked good, but I got better torque when I upgraded cables.
I've got a PDS and it would hit the max speed limiter with the old cables, but it got there quicker with the new ones.

There was only $30 difference in price, so I went with 2Ga.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO