lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
jimmajormed
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 Electric Club Car

I appreciate all of the positive participation on this site.
I have read many of your posts and have learned just enough to be dangerous.
I received my used cart yesterday. It was backed off of a pickup truck and driven into my garage. When the delivery person turned it off I noticed an orange battery light blinked on the dash. I asked him what it mean't he said not to worry. He just said make sure the key is off and that the cart should be in TOW mode when I finish using it.
This morning I got up in anticipation of taking my Grandson a ride and the cart was dead.
All 6 batteries read around 8.5 Volts but I hooked up the charger anyway. The needle reads 15 amps but is dropping very slowly.
My question is , what does the orange battery light signify and since the charger is charging at a high amperage do the batteries just need charging or are there other issues? The batteries are probably the original Trojans. The dealer said they would be good for 27 holes before re charging.
The charger is very hot to the touch but the plugs in the wall and cart are cool.
No owners manual was provided.
I will make future questions shorter if possible.
Thanking you in advance for your help.
Jim
jimmajormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Electric Club Car

Welcome to the forum jimmajormed................

The cart was probably dead because the Tow/Run switch under the seat was left in the "Tow" position. Put it in RUN and you should be fine.

As far as the yellow light, it tells me that you probably have a later model Club Car golf cart. Without going into much detail, i'll just say the light coming on for a few seconds and back off and repeating simply means that the batteries need a good overnight charging. The charger automatically goes off when they are charged.

The charger getting very hot tells me it is a "small" club car charger. The Hot is ok. The small ones are the only oned that get really hot.

27 holes? You got some good batteries with your cart.

Best advice I can give you as a new cart owner..............
The batteries are the life of your cart. Check the batteries once every month to 2 months and add Distilled water when needed. Maintain the water level just above the plates inside each battery filler hole. To let a battery go dry, is to ruin a battery. They are not cheap.

You will find other tips here as you go along, so I wont bombard you with them.

When asking questions about your cart Tell us the make and year and of course place questions in the appropriate category. Example: Electric Club Car.

If you are unsure of the year of your cart, look under the dash where the floor meets the glove boxes for a plate or decal that starts with a letter. Example: A01XXX The 01 is the year and of course th x's represent the other numbers.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
jimmajormed
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2003 Electric Club Car

Thank you for quick reply.
I did flip it to the run position when I attempted to start it this morning but to no avail.
Should I leave it in the run position when not in use? Or flip it to tow.
You would think the dealer would charge it before delivery.
Since I made my post the amp needle has dropped quite a bit so you are probably right that it needs a complete charge so that is what I will do.
Your reply was greatly appreciated.
Jim
jimmajormed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orange battery light
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car