lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 moves while trying to start

I've seen this mentioned in passing in other threads, but have not found a definate answer.
When trying to start, (either forward or reverse) the clutch/belt grabs enough to make the cart move. This would make starting on a steep hill impossible. Also, when pushing the cart, the engine is being backdriven, and turns over.

1. Is this normal?

2. How to fix? modify clutch? longer belt? move engine closer to rear end?

Thanks,
Ray
396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 moves while trying to start

When pushing the cart, that is normal.
Sounds to me like your drive clutch isn't opening all the way. May be time for a cleaning and lube job.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

If the rear clutch is siezed any on the drive shaft, it will cause tention on the belt. Also the front clutch may not be opening all the way and somewhat siezed. Check to see if there is a small grease fitting on the inside of the inner sheave on the rear clutch. Just a couple of pumps of grease should do it. If no grease fitting, you'll have to remove the rear clutch and hand grease the inner bushing in the sheave. You should also lightly grease the front clutch as well. There should be a small grease fitting around the housing of the front clutch. If not, you'll have to remove the cover.

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild

Guys, thanks for the info. I will try cleaning & lube as suggested.
This combined with marginal fuel pump output after sitting overnight, means that to start it I need to jack it up and squirt some fuel onto the airfilter to get it going each day.
I will be replacing the fuel lines & fuel pump pulse line while I am at it also.
The next thing I want to do is dis-connect the B+W wire from the throttle and get it to idle.
I don't golf, so it is a neighborhood & campground toy, and I want it to be as drivable as possible.
396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Keep us posted.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha