lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
DeadZone
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v battery questions

I have a 2010 Zone spark cart I am trying to get going, worked fine until parked but it hasn't moved in 6 years. In that time my brother robbed the speed sensor of the back wheel, squirrels filled it with walnuts, and at this point I am planning on it needing all new batteries. Couple of questions:

1. Do you think it is worth my time to pull all the batteries and get them charged/tested or after that time period should I just scrap them? My initial thought was to pull the caps, fill with distilled water and set then on a charger but I have read about battery fires and these are pretty old.

2. This cart has an onboard charger but I am missing the chord. Looks like a computer monitor chord but I suspect parts will be hard to come by. Would I be better off by buying another charger chord and if so, what would you recommend?

3. Any recommendations on where to purchase batteries or am I better tryingt to shop local due to the weight of them?

Sorry for the long post and probably basic questions. Know nothing about this thing and my family is pressing me to get it going again.
DeadZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48v battery questions

1. You'll definitely need new batteries. Since the cart sat for so long, your old ones are shot.

2. If it has the standard three prong AC cord, you can just replace it with one of those, doesn't have to be OEM.

3. Batteries pretty much have to be bought locally, due to their nature. Local cart shops and Interstate batteries is where I would look.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
DeadZone
Not Yet Wild

Thanks jakesnake27.

Was looking locally and it looks like I have a couple of options outside of the golf cart repair shops so I may try them first.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I've also had good luck with the Duracells at Sam's Club, if you're a member there or know anybody that is...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
DeadZone
Not Yet Wild

I am a member at Costco which is a competitor to Sam's in my area. I will check with them. I noticed that the Amps on the original battery were a bit higher than the battery at Interstate... we are 283 amp hours (20 hours) vs around 210 amp hours. Not familiar with that spec, will this matter much?

Here are my original batteries: https://buggiesgonewild.com/attachme...9&d=1264170336

Here is the interstate battery: https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...nt?search=true
Old 05-26-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Are there 8 batteries in it?
The first one is a 6v battery so there would need to be 8 of those to be 48v.

No doubt they’re toast at this point, but if the car needs a battery with that high capacity you may need to get something closer in specs to what’s already there.
Is the cart a 4 seater or 6 seater?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
DeadZone
Not Yet Wild

yes, 8 6v batteries are in it. Very large, they are larger than my batteries in my truck.

This is a 4 seater (2 in cab, two on back) and the cart is governed to go 25mph so that may be part of it.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Trojan batteries https://www.trojanbattery.com/produc...ine-flooded-2/ which are considered top of the line, the size of their 6V FLA's are 10.3"x7.11"x11.07". Each one in this series (T-105, T-125, & T-145) weighs from 62-lbs to 72-lbs.

The amp\hr are 105=225\amp-hr, 125=240\amp-hr, and 145=260\amp-hr. These are all at 20hr ratings.

The higher rated the amp\hr, the more run time you will have from your pack. But always remember to compare "apples to apples" as you may be comparing a 20hr rated pack to say a 15hr rated pack.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
DeadZone
Not Yet Wild

Thanks DaveTM. These are probably 60-65 pounds each.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Why not replace with the Roypow Lithium 48v 105ah pack, you get a charger and BMS with it. $2,000 for lithium (and new charger) vs $1700 plus for just batteries? Save $$ in long run and make cart 450 lbs lighter.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts