lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
GIJOE98
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Talking 85 G1 Solidstate conversion

A few weeks ago I acquired little Yamaha cart and decided it would be my next project. :D well so far I've stretched it and added a 6 inch lift and 22 inch tires. It then dawned on me that with the new tires and the added weight that i should go ahead upgrade the electronics. I was wondering how easy it would be to get rid of the old rheostat and switch over to solid state. I was thinking of installing a high torque motor and a decent controller with the option of upgrading to 48v later if desired. While I can guess at what would be needed to complete the conversion I would rather hear opinions from ppl with experience since I have none when it comes to golf carts.

Thanks,

Joe
GIJOE98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 85 G1 Solidstate conversion

Hi Joe! The first thing to consider is the controller. Over kill now or re order later? I go for the overkill now. A 500 amp controller would be a nice start, a motor rebuild from Plum Quick, a new HD solenoid,possibly a new HD F&R switch. If you get everything new you're looking at around $1000 to $1200 for the conversion. I did it on my '91 G9 and it has really been a plus. I stayed 36 volts and have all the torque and speed I need. Good luck!!! P.S. #4 gauge wires everywhere goes without saying.
trkbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is fairly simple. The hardest part is fabricating a mount for a potentiometer in a way that the gas peddle operates it. Another idea is to fab a cable pull cam on the end of the throttle linkage and operate the potentiometer with a bicycle brake cable or Ezgo gas cable....
From there you just need a suitable controller and well matched solenoid.
A diagram and a few wires and a handful of cables. It is fairly simple.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I would think the hardest part would be finding and fabbing a place for the manual f/r switch.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
GIJOE98
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, I had forgotten about Plum Quick till now, that is probably what I'll do on this cart. I've found a 500 amp controller and a new solenoid that'll work, the question remains still for a decent POT and F&R Switch. Fabricating mounts/linkage shouldn't be a problem.

any recommendations on the switch or POT? or does it really matter?

I've read where some ppl use the Curtis PB-6 but if i can get a way with something cheaper I'd be happy :D but at the same time i don't want to sacrifice too much. :/

Quote:
I did it on my '91 G9 and it has really been a plus.
I read over your thread on the conversion :D it seems I'll be falling down the same path soon.

Quote:
P.S. #4 gauge wires everywhere goes without saying.
hehe first thing i did was build a few #4 cables and buy a good battery pack. When I picked up the cart its batteries were shot and there was no telling how far the corrosion had crept. It did however run... (after agitating the wires a little) forward... the batteries had devoured one brake cable at some point so stopping didn't work too well either. In the future I'll upgrade the brakes if needed.

Thanks for the advice,

Joe
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I've read where some ppl use the Curtis PB-6 but if i can get a way with something cheaper I'd be happy :D but at the same time i don't want to sacrifice too much. :/

I used a Chinese knock off for a PB-6, so far so good. Just make sure that the controller and the pot box are compatible/0-5k. My G9 had a large brkt. that I reused to mount everything. It is the brkt. for the resistors to mount on and all the new stuff worked well on that. Oh yea, I ordered the pot box out of Fla. for $75. Got it off ebay.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
GIJOE98
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

yeah saw the knock off on ebay as well... (listed at $85) if it works that's all that matters so I'm considering it. The G1 has the same bracket and i intend to use it aswell. anyway it's coming together.

I think i'll be going with a f&r switch for an ezgo. it'll be simple enough to integrate.

Joe
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds good. If you look real close at my Yamaha, it is really an Ezgo drive system.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I did not have good luck with the inexpensive import potentiometer you mentioned. After 2 went bad I gave up on them and now only use Curtis brand pots.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
GIJOE98
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

heh got busy and... forgot to update...

Scottyb: thanks for the input :) i ended up going with the curtis pot

anyway so far so good... decided on an alltrax 500, pb-6, and a ge d395 (was going to go with plumquick but started getting worried about not having enough torque for the weight and terrain).

i still have to make room for the new motor, build a new bench seat for the front and finish building the brush guard... other then that it's just a waiting game for the remain parts to come in... oh and either build a rear seat or adapt one of those fancy flipping rear seats....

the body itself is in fair... well poor shape but since the buggy's primary use will take it through thick pastures i don't really see the need to fix it... well it won't be the prettiest yami but it should perform fine.

when i start assembling I'll see about posting pics in case ppl are curious.

this kinda makes me want to start working on my rhino next...

well thank ya'll again for the advice.

Joe

Tags
conversion, g1e, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha