lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
dieseldan420
Not Yet Wild

Default Question about Battery charging.

I have a Tomberlin E Merge 2, a 48 V system with 6 8 volt batteries.

The original batteries have lasted just slightly less than 1 1/2 years. I have some experience with deep cycle Golf Car Batteries (6 T105) installed in solar system on an RV. Those batteries have lasted on an average of 5 to 7 years.

I am not deep cycling the batteries in the Tomberlin (Usually recharge before batteries reach a 60% state of charge Average trip about 4 or 5 miles give or take.

What I am seeing is that the Delta Q charger charges the batteries a lot more aggressively than what happens with the solar/ Trace inverter charger that is in the motor home. I see the Delta Q charger take the Vehicle batteries to 63 volts and hold them there for more than an hour before dropping off charge. That equates to more than 2.6 volts per cell. Trojan labels 62 volts as an equalization charge and does not recommend that on a daily basis. The Batteries in my motor home usually charge in the bulk mode to about 80% charge and then switch to a voltage limited mode (About 2.4 volts per cell) for an hour or more before dropping into a float mode (2.2 volts per cell). I may be comparing apples to oranges here but in my mind a Battery is A battery (As long as we are talking about a FLA deep cycle battery it seems that charging should be similar regardless of the application.

I would appreciate your experience with this issue. Ps I have followed proper watering and maintenance procedures.
dieseldan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin