lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
White Tom
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default Tomberlin E2 Backseat Install from GolfCartKings

I thought I would do a review of this inexpensive Tomberlin E2 Back Flip Seat from Golf Cart Kings. The one I got was the white seat version.

To cover my bases before install. I even talked to the Tomberlin Reps and even they expressed it was more than twice the cost and is a large "seat only" $1000 option. So I decided to find the cheapest flip seat I could and see how that went.

The Golf Cart King Kit:
First the kit came it two shipped boxes. One was the seat flip and top section. The other was all the hardware and bolts. Sadly it didn't come with an exploded drawing and bolts labeled. So you just had to figure it out. Good... I am mechanically inclined. The bolts are stated to be Stainless steel in the online ad. Yet.. these do not look stainless steel. I've done tons of restoration work with Stainless. So I'll report back on how these guys hold up.

Getting Started:

I removed the snug top. Sadly it can't be used anymore. It does look cool.

You have to remove the top seat and remove the bottom bolts and lift up the rear slightly so that you can remove the small rear cross bar. You will not use this again. The instructions again are vague. So take your time. Store away with the snug top.

My bottom tabs on my seat frame base that bolt onto the top of the removed fender support seemed weird and position wrong immediately upon placing the set bracket on as a test fit. I went ahead and assembled the structure loosely not tightening down any bolts so you can position and tighten later.

Upon installed the bottom foot plate.. a major problem popped up. The bottom would not swing up high enough to attach to the top unit. It was literally blocked by the rear bumper. See image.

Two options. 1 ) You could trim part of the bottom support bar to help clear the bottom bumper cover. - or - 2) Lower the unit slightly by revamping the weird tabs.

I chose the tabs to keep the bottom support as strong as possible.

I re-drilled the tabs and raised the holes and ground off ( cut off wheel ) the excess. This caused me to have to repaint this area slightly. This modification resulted in the ability to connect the top to the base foot plate.

THen you take the top back seat brackets and install them behind your front top seats. This gives you supports to mount the back top seat. NOTE: It's reversible so you can jack it up REALLY HIGH.. or turn it down to match the front seat height. I chose to match the front seat height.

I then repositioned and rechecked everything using a small floor jack to lift everything up as much as possible to align. I then tightened it all down really good.

Finally... I placed the top flip seat kit onto my seat frame and you have to be sure it flips over and clears so it can go flat. Then mark the holes underside and use a drill to tap holes and install with flat top bolts.

NOTE: The bottom seat kit appears to be approx 5" to short from reach the back once the front folded seat is aligned It appears that this could have been longer and it would have dramatically effected the overall appearance of this unit. I'm contacting Golf Cart Kings and requesting some sort of fix or seat extension. I will report back on this request

In closing here are the final installed photos.

Overall: It works, but you might need some moderate troubleshooting skills to install and decent set of shop tools. It lacked detailed exploded drawing instructions that would have greatly increased the assembly time.

Basically It all depends on what you are wanting. Tomberlin doesn't have a huge set of aftermarket parts.. so you have to use what you can get. I have to admit.. I did expect more... but once completed I am satisfied with the function.

Final Costs:
The best part is that it was $410 shipped.
PLUS: 4 hours assembly / troubleshooting time.

Durability: I will report back on these.
1) I want people to know if the seat fabrics are good quality and last several years of outside use.

2) Stainless Bolts. Going to see how well these hold up. Stainless doesn't rust.

3) Contacted Golf Cart Kings about the Short Seat base. If this can be repaired with an extension installed. I will let you know what they say.

Hopefully this will be useful to other Tomberlin owners.
God Bless!
White Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Tags
backseat, flip seat, install, tomberlin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin