lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
macadoe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Charging question.

36v charging question. Tried charging batteries before but they were leaking from caps so I stopped the charge. They were really filled. I lowered the levels to about 1/2in above the plates. Been charging about 3 hours now and the state of charge meter is now in the red above the white charge indicator. Should I leave it go or should I stop it. It's clearly in the red. Was at bottom end of white when started. Lestronic 36v automatic charger.
macadoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Charging question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoe View Post
36v charging question. Tried charging batteries before but they were leaking from caps so I stopped the charge. They were really filled. I lowered the levels to about 1/2in above the plates. Been charging about 3 hours now and the state of charge meter is now in the red above the white charge indicator. Should I leave it go or should I stop it. It's clearly in the red. Was at bottom end of white when started. Lestronic 36v automatic charger.
Since you got the correct water levels now, Automatic chargers are desighned to build up a charge rate slowly, then full charge (really helps equalize the batteries) and then all the way down to a trickle charge (as long as the auto timer is working correctly) then shut off. The older the battery set is, it will take less time to fully recharge them. State of charge meters (the basic ones) read surface voltage, so the charger charging at 40 to 44 volts would have the meter showing "full". My suggestion would be to run the car, plug in the charger and see how long it takes to shut off, if it does. Could be as long as 12 hours. Guy's, if I awnsered that incorrectly, please add your feelings.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
macadoe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I ran the cart today for about 15 minutes after sitting a week. It's been charging for 5 hours now and is all the way up at the top of red on the state of charge meter. The batteries are not leaking anymore but I do hear venting. Is this normal?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoe View Post
I ran the cart today for about 15 minutes after sitting a week. It's been charging for 5 hours now and is all the way up at the top of red on the state of charge meter. The batteries are not leaking anymore but I do hear venting. Is this normal?
Yep, if they didn't vent, they'd explode. The charger should turn off soon, if the board is good. Give it a few more hours.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
macadoe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Ok the charger shut off right after my last post. The charge meter dropped into the high white. Took it out for a couple minutes and the meter dropped to about half way in the green on inclines the back to high green low white when I let off accelerator. Hopefully all is well and I can make it until Feb-Mar on these batteries. Thanks for your input it is appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha