lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
shaunr
Not Yet Wild

Default G9 guttless

I recently bought a G9 electric cart. The first thing i did was pull out the old (dead) battery's and put in brand new US 2200 battery's. I also replaced all the cables between the battery's with new 4G wire as well as replaced the 4G wire that runs from the battery to the motor and from the battery to the solenoid.

This cart has been lifted, i'm guessing maybe 6", it has 12" rims and i believe the tires are 25" tall. I'm not sure what gearing is in the rear end but on level ground the cart runs about 16-17 MPH. The problem is that the cart is gutless when it comes to going up any type of hill. I'm about to pull the rear end out of this cart to replace the seals and change the oil so i'll find out what gears are in it but i'm guessing they are the stock 12:1 (11.97 or whatever i read it was). I've driven this thing up hills (these are street hills, nothing crazy) for long periods of time and the battery cables are not hot at all. The cables that come off the speed controller (the big metal windings) look to be 6G and those do get pretty warm. They wont burn me but they are hot. I'm wondering if i should upgrade these, or if that could cause other problems.

I'm wondering whats the best way to correct this problem. Shorter gears, larger cables, different motor, etc? I know this cart is old (20 years old) so at this point i'm not sure what to try first.
shaunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 guttless

25" tall tires will kill your torque.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
shaunr
Not Yet Wild

I just checked again and they are actually 23H x 10.5w on a 12" rim. I know that's not much better. So then is what i'm seeing pretty normal? Any idea how much better the cart would perform if i bumped up to a 14 gear instead of what i'm assuming is a 12 gear in it now? I actually have a gas version of this cart too that has stock rims/tires on it. Maybe i'll throw those on the back just to see how much better the cart performs! It's going to look pretty funny though, pre-runner style

I'm also wondering if it would just be better to upgrade the engine rather than gears. Not sure what else would be required though for that.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
moesdeals
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunr View Post
I recently bought a G9 electric cart. The first thing i did was pull out the old (dead) battery's and put in brand new US 2200 battery's. I also replaced all the cables between the battery's with new 4G wire as well as replaced the 4G wire that runs from the battery to the motor and from the battery to the solenoid.

This cart has been lifted, i'm guessing maybe 6", it has 12" rims and i believe the tires are 25" tall. I'm not sure what gearing is in the rear end but on level ground the cart runs about 16-17 MPH. The problem is that the cart is gutless when it comes to going up any type of hill. I'm about to pull the rear end out of this cart to replace the seals and change the oil so i'll find out what gears are in it but i'm guessing they are the stock 12:1 (11.97 or whatever i read it was). I've driven this thing up hills (these are street hills, nothing crazy) for long periods of time and the battery cables are not hot at all. The cables that come off the speed controller (the big metal windings) look to be 6G and those do get pretty warm. They wont burn me but they are hot. I'm wondering if i should upgrade these, or if that could cause other problems.

I'm wondering whats the best way to correct this problem. Shorter gears, larger cables, different motor, etc? I know this cart is old (20 years old) so at this point i'm not sure what to try first.
The best way to correct this is to go back to a 8" rim and then do a oversize 8". The ones that you have on there now is your problem. Put the taller tires on your gas rig.
Good luck
moesdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
shaunr
Not Yet Wild

Wouldn't that make it look stupid since the cart looks to have a 6-7" lift on it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha