lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #331
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 82 harley cart with suzuki 440 FC engine

Conclusion By modifying the systems I was able to take the beast out of a snowmobile engine and make it nice engine suitable for golf cart use. It has ample alternator for a charging system, just about as quiet as the stock HD cart, and can go from a slow creep to 30 some mph with a smooth take off. The only negative is there is no reverse. AND just in case you are wondering IF you decide that you want the beast it is still there. Floor the bugger and make sure you know where you are pointed. With tire combo I have it will smoke a tire and not do a wheelie. P.S. This cart maybe may not be as refined as some BUT it is a whole lot of fun.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #332
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Both of Suzi's rear tires were down. Aired them up BUT they must have the dreaded rim leaks ?
Old 02-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #333
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Both of Suzi's rear tires were down. Aired them up BUT they must have the dreaded rim leaks ?
Probably... I hate rim leaks
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #334
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Topped up Suzi's tires and took her out for a run. On run #1 the brake was again not working. Some fiddling and had the brake operative again and did a couple more short runs. She fires right up and runs great BUT the brake system is the real weak point on this cart , AND ALAS I don't see a simple way to remedy this situation.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:27 PM   #335
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

May I make a suggestion? First I'd dump the crazy bad HD "Y" brake system. I could not find it, but Rifter and others using a straight axle set up, use a flat rotor disc (witch you could fab to the secondary hub) and a caliber brake set up. It could be cable or hydrolic operated, just depends how much you wand to spend. You could find a used bike set up or buy Wildwood. I do not "fab" anymore, but I still have visions. Good luck my friend.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #336
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My 82 uses a single rotor mounted right on the secondary. It is cable operated by a 82 only cable. When the other cable failed I searched high and wide for the proper replacement. I ended using the earlier cable with a intermediate link to make it fit. As you suggest ideally a better caliper operated with a hydraulic master would be ideal BUT the amount of fab work looks to be quite complex. I have been looking at go cart hydraulic set ups BUT not sure that is the answer. BUT I had not thought about using one of a cycle. That might be the answer. I will start looking at what is around. P.S. There is a pretty good pic of the set up on page #2 of this thread with the engine out.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #337
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Don't forget many old sleds had a disk on the jackshaft with a caliper!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #338
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Not many sleds here in south nj. Both of my sled engines came from up there in cold country off of E bay. No doubt starting with the whole sled would be better.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #339
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Took Suzi for a brief spin today. The brakes were OK. I guess the adjustments I made did the trick. She is basically my tool and bigger item transport cart even with her powerful engine, so the so so brakes suffice for now.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #340
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Took Suzi for every so often run again today. She fired right up and ran like the She Devil she is
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps