lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
broux2
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Changing Ignition Switch for Rocker Switch

Going through a 85 G1 that I picked up cheap. Wouldn’t start and a tracked it down to a badly corroded ignition switch. Looks like a cheap aftermarket ignition that doesn’t have a good sealing rubber boot. I opened and cleaned but it still has issues so I am going to try to change out for a rocker switch. Curious if anyone has done this.

PLan is to use a 7 Pin DPDT illuminated rocker. This should allow me to separate the ignition connections onto two circuits in the switch.
Circuit One: R wire connection to W/R in forward and W/G in reverse
Circuit Two: R/W and W connected together and those will connect to Y in forward and L(Light Blue) in reverse

The B will go to the ground pin to use for light illumination. The B/W will be left unhooked. This is the part I am unsure of but it looks like the stop switch will also ground out the CDI so should be good.
broux2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Changing Ignition Switch for Rocker Switch

You figure that out let us know

The aftermarket switches suck but are cheap enough and all we got. I wouldn’t want to risk frying a cdi or stator coil. Those aren’t available aftermarket and OE used is getting hard to find let alone new
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
broux2
Not Yet Wild

All done. Nice and easy. I’ll do a write up when i get on my computer.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:14 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

What about a key to prevent just anyone from hopping on and driving away?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by broux2 View Post
Going through a 85 G1 that I picked up cheap. Wouldn’t start and a tracked it down to a badly corroded ignition switch. Looks like a cheap aftermarket ignition that doesn’t have a good sealing rubber boot. I opened and cleaned but it still has issues so I am going to try to change out for a rocker switch. Curious if anyone has done this.

PLan is to use a 7 Pin DPDT illuminated rocker. This should allow me to separate the ignition connections onto two circuits in the switch.
Circuit One: R wire connection to W/R in forward and W/G in reverse
Circuit Two: R/W and W connected together and those will connect to Y in forward and L(Light Blue) in reverse

The B will go to the ground pin to use for light illumination. The B/W will be left unhooked. This is the part I am unsure of but it looks like the stop switch will also ground out the CDI so should be good.

if im reading this right the black white wire is being left unhooked. this will leave the cart in "maintenance mode" and would only shut off with the switch. its not recommended to idle the G1 as it was not designed to do so and could over heat. at the very least i suggest using a cylinder head temp sensor if doing this

looking forward to the write up!
Old 04-30-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
broux2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
if im reading this right the black white wire is being left unhooked. this will leave the cart in "maintenance mode" and would only shut off with the switch. its not recommended to idle the G1 as it was not designed to do so and could over heat. at the very least i suggest using a cylinder head temp sensor if doing this

looking forward to the write up!
Sorry got busy last night and no time to right it up just yet. The way it is hooked up does not engage a maintenance mode. The stop switch at the pedal is still connected normally which controls the cart starting and stopping.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #7
broux2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
What about a key to prevent just anyone from hopping on and driving away?
I never pull the key out anyway. If someone wants to steal it it is very simple to do and they can just change the ignition in a few minutes. If I do have concerns I will put in hidden kill switch and maybe even a tracker device like Tile or an Air Tag.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by broux2 View Post
I never pull the key out anyway. If someone wants to steal it it is very simple to do and they can just change the ignition in a few minutes. If I do have concerns I will put in hidden kill switch and maybe even a tracker device like Tile or an Air Tag.
dont forgot about us boss this could help alot of people on these old carts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha