lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
keithnra
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 Ez go spitting oil and backfiring

My 2001 ez go gas cart with a 350 is spitting oil out of the crankcase vent tube and not running quiet right.
History is I put new rings and in the engine. we had to hone one of the cylinders a good bit to get groove out, and it has a brand new head gasket, new carb and lots of other new parts. Now thjat I figured out my no spark issue I have a different problem. This oil is coming out pretty good. I readjusted the valves yesterday and it seemed to help a little. The cart just doesn't feel like it has full power and is backfiring thru carb some especially when I let off gas pedal. would it do this if the timing on engine it off by just a tooth or so. I am just wondering if when we put the timing belt on it we didn't get it perfect , I reallyh want to get this going
keithnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 Ez go spitting oil and backfiring

A couple of things come to mind. When you honed that cylinder, did you double check the tolerances against the service manual? Is it possible that you honed it out of spec and used a piston/ring set that is now too small for it. This could cause low compression and/or oil blow by in that cylinder. As far as backfiring, two things:

1. look at the butterfly in the carb. With the key off, depress the gas pedal, you should hear the micro switch click just before the butterfly opens up. If it opens before that, then adjust the throttle linkage accordingly.

2. Yes you could have gotten your timing off. You may want to go back and verify that it all lines up per the shop manual. It should have been pretty straight forward as far as setting the timing but you could have missed something.

I am personally leaning towards a cylinder that is out of spec and/or throttle adjustment. Good luck.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
keithnra
Not Yet Wild

I did not mic it after honing it
If I did o too much would it cause low compression if so what's the best way to check compression on these engines. I know with a mustang motor it's best to take out all plugs and check it that way. I'm gonna check for compression today. The timing was right on so what now. The PCV valve how do you know if it's right should it be completely flat. The spring on the back was bent out.it's the one piece design
Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Kieth, other than what sccowboy said, make sure the throttle plate is closing all the way when you let up on the gas, that's usually the back fire problem. Checking the compression is a good idea and if it's low that could be oil blowing by the rings and up the vent tube. Another thing it could be is oil over full and sucking it up through the vent tube.

Also if you didn't know and have a lift kit you can't go by the dipstick full line... drain and refill 1.5 quarts that's it.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Did you look at the plug on the bad cylinder? Is it oiled up?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
keithnra
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the plugs today and found that one plug looked great and the other plug was completely flat the electrode was bent all the way down but there was very little oil on it. I didn't get a chance todo anything else
Old 01-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Well there is a problem :). Post back when you try a new plug and double check that the throttle plate is closing all the way. There is a stop screw on the side of the carb that could be holding the plate slightly open. If thats not it, then look at the linkage that comes off the carb. It may need lengthening.That plate must fully close right before the micro switch opens as you are letting off the pedal. You have to test that with the key off because you will never hear it click otherwise.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
keithnra
Not Yet Wild

ok thx guys I hope to mess with it today
Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #9
keithnra
Not Yet Wild

Well I took the motor apart yesterday and its not good. The one cylinder only had like 60psi on compression so when I took it apart I found out why, both compression rings were broke and hence shy the spark plug was bent. so now im gonna explore my options to either re ring it, I may bore it out I have to do some measurements before anything. does anyone on here bore blocks or know hoe much it would costs for the machine work. I have to decide if we broke the rings on installation or if it was because that cylinder has a small ridge left that broke them.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I would get the shop manual off the tech section of this site. Print the page that has the specs for the Cylinders and carry both to a reputable machine shop in your area. Have them measure and hone accordingl. They can tthen tell you which pistons you need to fit the cylinders. Order the correct pistons which will come with matching rings.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO