lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G19E 48V - Buzzer won't shut off

Short story, current situation - My back-up buzzer doesn't shut off. Tone changes (louder/softer) when tow switch is toggled. I unplugged the controller to keep dog from freaking out. My guess is that i need to replace the controller at this point. However, if that is the case, i would like some input on a couple of other things so i can determine if i need to replace more than 1 component - namely solenoid and throttle sensor.

Longer story - Cart wasn't running and i was going through series of diagnostics. Last night when i stopped, I had gotten the back-up buzzer to work after cleaning connections on solenoid and relay and resetting controller (unplugging/plugging). Cart still wouldn't run. This morning, i thought i would cycle tow switch to see if i got lucky and when i did the buzzer came on and wouldn't shut off. I have never seen this before.

I replaced all the batteries about 2 weeks ago and get good power out of pack as you would expect. After installing them, i had to go through a few diagnostics and ended up unplugging controller before i could get it to run. Cart worked fine for a couple of weeks. My son was driving it a few nights ago, stopped to talk to someone, and it wouldnt start up again. I couldn't get it started with first couple diagnostic steps - so i pushed it home.

Going through initial checks the next day, the back-up buzzer wouldn't work so i followed the recommended steps from Yamaha manual for the condition (at least those i could understand). Initially i was getting full power (48V+) at buzzer but that later in the day that dropped to 24-25V indicating no ground. Ditto at tow switch, etc. The last thing I did was clean big posts of solenoid (wouldnt click and still won't) and test throttle sensor. Throttle sensor only read 3700 ohms Blue to Black (rather than 5000). does that mean sensor needs to be replaced?

The couple of times i checked the motor - i had full power but didn't check it at every step along the way. Anyway, after testing and cleaning - i unplugged/plugged the controller and the back-up buzzer was working. I pressed pedal and heard a low humm like motor was trying to run but then that stopped. i.e. the next time i pushed the pedal there was no humm. I never really heard the solenoid click.

Thoughts?
054576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G19E 48V - Buzzer won't shut off

Sounds like a controller problem.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I figured the same at this point and perhaps it was intermittent before as it was going bad. Should i worry about 3600 ohms on throttle sensor or wait until after i replace controller?

It has had a new solenoid one other time in 20+ years, should i change it as well? I figure i am about to see one failure after another and probably should just ditch the whole thing, but i kind of like tinkering with it from time to time as needed to challenge my problem solving abilities and it definitely challenges me periodically.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Before ordering a controller i decided to run through a few basic checks again starting with continuity check on wire from controller to buzzer and found one of the wires had pulled out of buzzer harness. I pushed back in and buzzer works fine and cart now runs. It is truly hit or miss with this thing and i have no illusions i won't have an issue again - but fixed for the time being. Maybe this winter i will redo all the wiring but my gut tells me - ride her till she bucks!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Way to prevail!! If you ever need a new stock controller, hit me up.
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Problem back again. During charge cycle my son unplugged and hit reverse switch and it won't turn off again. Checked connection at buzzard again and it was fine but can't get it to stopped. Resetting controller doesn't work this time.

Side question, does solenoid have to click for it to run? I didn't really hear it when it was running but probably just faint.

Should I try cleaning small terminal solenoid connections? Could that be causing this weird behavior? Should I replace solenoid when/if I replace controller?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes the solenoid must click for the cart to run unless it's stuck on.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buzzer, new batteries, solenoid not clicking, throttle position sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha