lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How to get a smoother ride in a G29?

Several of my friends and I have all gotten the G29 in the past few years and all are used primarily for golf. The course that we use the carts on has a very bumpy cart path and we find that the rear suspension is a bit to stiff, the cart seems to bounce a lot. Has anyone on here ever tried or found a replacement rear shock for the G29 that has a lighter duty spring or softened up the rearend suspension.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How to get a smoother ride in a G29?

There is a difference in in the rear coil over shocks on the G29. The Electric cart shocks are a heavier spring than the Gas cart shock, so if you were to replace yours for a softer ride with the Gas version, they may drop the rear end down a bit too much. I just completed the build for a friend of a G29 with a Vortex body and a Lithium pack and used the Gas cart shocks on it. BUT, I reduced the cart weight by a little over 300lbs with the Lithium pack. So the gas shocks worked out great. PS. I am originally from Jackson, MS.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hi PingEye3! Do you have more details on the Gas Cart shocks you used? I haev a Drive with Lithium pack in it and it rides too harsh with only me in it. It's not bad with two people but I would like to soften it up. I eliminated about 250 pounds with my Lithium conversion also.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Ping I will do some research on that and see if I can make it work on my G29.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey Ping I have been trying to find the shocks for the g29 gasser but everything I am finding says it is the same for gas and electric, do you have a part number for the gasser shocks.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Early gas carts used the electric rear shock (jw2-f2210-10) , later models were equipped with one specifically for gas carts (jw1-f2210-10). Both would fit. Any Yamaha part starting with jw2 was designed for electric carts (see your serial number, gas is jw1, electric is jw2), doesn't mean it won't fit others (or maybe installed on others by yamaha). Same for front shocks (jw1-3350-10 & jw1-3390-10).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just throwing this out there, as I don't do a ton with Yamaha's and am not 100% familiar with the G29 rear end, but here's a shot of a G22 That we softened up with a set of Nitrogen Coilovers that I found for just under $100 on Ebay:

DSCN0931.jpg

The preload was a bit lighter than stock so to compensate we went with a set that was about 2" longer than the stock shocks, eye-to-eye - installed they settled to a height about .75" higher than stock but the ride was night and day softer and being a progressive spring stayed stable in the corners (that cart had the full Plowmans treatment and gears so it ran 38+ all day long). If I recall the shocks were load-rated at 450lbs each, we tried a few sets before we settled on the ones we actually used. Here's a shot of the shocks next to the stock ones as well as a pic of the cart to show the difference in ride height (hard to tell without the body on but should give You an idea)

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0952.jpg
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hi Volt Amp, I have a friend who is a Yamaha dealer, but he only takes new carts from Yamaha and stretches them for multi-passenger, wheel chair access, ambulances for stadiums, etc. So he has two boxes of them, 3 ft high, 2' square filled with both Electric and Gas shocks. He showed me the difference so when I did the latest cart build for a friend, I tried them and what the ride was great. About 6 months ago I installed another pack in a Yamaha YDRE and he was complaining of the harsh ride. I installed a set on it an he was quite pleased. If you are insterested in a set, let me know.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Frizbgolf
Gone Wild

Club Car

Brewcity that looks like just the ticket, you wouldn't happen to have the manufacturer and part number for those shocks by any chance.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Please don't kill the messanger! For years customers have been asking for a "softer ride" on there G29's. So yesterday, we installed some G22 rear shocks (part# JN4-F2210-00-00) on to a G29 EFI PTV car. The shock length "eye to eye holes" idendical, but the spring coil rate is very differant. Much better "side to side" movement on the rear suspenssion This being a PTV with 10" rims and 205/60 tires, there is some rub on the mud flap when "heavy" passangers are loaded. I asked him to drive it for a while and give me his feedback. With the "light" front end of the G29, I don't see how anything can change. If you would like, I'll keep you posted.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha