lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Vc 460

I have a Vegas rod already and only run this a few years with no serious hours on it so didn't plan on anything else new. I may have to cut the piston down the rod is longer.

I mean vibration without the balancer, some people say they do others say no. I know the balancer only changes direction of the vibration more or less, but this cart does get used for slow (meaning low rpm) yard work or errands and such.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #22
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
These are the parts I came up with. There not proven yet. The nuts were very pricey. I don't think I'm saving that much, I'm just getting exactly what I want. I haven't order the washers yet, I have to see if they'll fit. The nuts are flanged and with the washers will increase the studs foot print

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201293646747...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-am4250-1lb/all
Ordered the studs from summit. thanx
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #23
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

New front motor mount arrived today. Swapped in the new one with no extra effort. I didn't know with all the salt water hitting that bolt if there would be an issue. Also did a better weld job on the muffler header connection.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 PM   #24
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Working on my cylinder head this eve and noticed one of my rocker studs was slightly bent. So even with the ersatz stud girdle it was starting to fail. Fitting the NR racing shaft rockers I noticed a binding against the valve cover gusset mount in the cylinder head on the intake side. I see Russell made these as wide as would fit. So some relief was needed with the dremel. Waiting for the cylinder studs to come from summit to finish valve train fit checks with the head on.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Here is a pic. You can see that the middle gusset is not centered at all. I don't know if my head is typical or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0499.jpg (207.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #26
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I don't think any of them are perfect. I can see flaws in the way my new head was cast. As far as I've got today I've done some rocker arm setup on the bench to see how my "Rocker Arm Geometry" works out. I've bolted the rocker assembly in the head and the contact point of the roller is incorrect. I used my push rod guide as a shim - cut off half of it and use the 2 hole end for my first shim. It got me closer to where I need to be. I found that my original valve lash caps are to tall. The valve stem sticks up .100 above the keepers. the caps pocket is .156 deep meaning the cap is pushing on the valve keepers instead of the valve stem. I have to remove .060 off the lash caps and that will help get the rocker arm roller closer to the center. Remember that the roller needs to be off center to one side enough that when its pushed down half of the cams lift the roller is centered on the stem. When the cam is at full lift -- the roller needs to be to the other side of center from the start. Valve geometry is tricky - one way off will bend the push rods -- the other way off -- it won't open the valve to its maximum opening
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 345.jpg (226.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 349.jpg (231.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 350.jpg (220.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 340.jpg (236.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 341.jpg (225.0 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #27
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Ordered the studs from summit. thanx
Sad to say the cylinder studs are too long.The cost to return them would eat up half of the refund.I think I am going to make up some sort of spacer girdle to spread out the load and take up the slack.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #28
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
I don't think any of them are perfect. I can see flaws in the way my new head was cast. As far as I've got today I've done some rocker arm setup on the bench to see how my "Rocker Arm Geometry" works out. I've bolted the rocker assembly in the head and the contact point of the roller is incorrect. I used my push rod guide as a shim - cut off half of it and use the 2 hole end for my first shim. It got me closer to where I need to be. I found that my original valve lash caps are to tall. The valve stem sticks up .100 above the keepers. the caps pocket is .156 deep meaning the cap is pushing on the valve keepers instead of the valve stem. I have to remove .060 off the lash caps and that will help get the rocker arm roller closer to the center. Remember that the roller needs to be off center to one side enough that when its pushed down half of the cams lift the roller is centered on the stem. When the cam is at full lift -- the roller needs to be to the other side of center from the start. Valve geometry is tricky - one way off will bend the push rods -- the other way off -- it won't open the valve to its maximum opening
With the stock valve set up the rockers rollers appear to be right where they should be.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #29
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I know the studs were a little long, I said they needed to be proven to see if they could be made to work. I'm making washers - as large in diameter as I can get inside the valve compartment. When I used an allen wrench to screw in the studs they were about 1/4" long. I want to mount the head on my mill so I can use an 1 1/8" diameter mill bit -- cut about 1/16" off of the head to accommodate an over size head stud washer about 3/8"x1" - this will increase the clamping ability and its easy to do with the engine tore down. If it were possible I'd like to add 4 more head studs.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #30
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
With the stock valve set up the rockers rollers appear to be right where they should be.
That's cool, I wrote to Russell for some opinions ans advise on mine. Just be careful. From what experience I have with these engines the lash cap is what locks the spring cap to the valve. No lash cap and if it could run with a bent push rod it can drop the valve. That was a common problem I saw working in a small engine shop.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps