lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2022, 12:24 AM   #1
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Default LiFePO4 batteries melting 4 gauge cables

I have six month old LiFePO4 batteries (4X12. in my G29. It's now summer in Texas and the batteries are getting SO hot that they are literally melting the 4 gauge cables and frying themselves. I have added a couple of vents to the buggie to get some airflow, but to no avail. Is it possible that these types of batteries just won't work in a hot, hilly environment? It seems that if the BMS does its job, the cart should shut down if the batteries get hot. No good in the middle of a game.. If it doesn't do it's job, the batteries and cables fry. No good. Am I missing something?
TXGolfer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2022, 01:29 AM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: LiFePO4 batteries melting

Something is wrong with your setup. They should definitely not be getting hot enough that the terminals are melting. You could possibly have high resistance at your terminals that are overheating.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:28 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You need to make sure you have good low resistance connections to your batteries. Make sure your cables are sparkling clean and that the holes match the bolts you are using on the batteries. You need a clean flat connection to the terminals. You might want to upgrade to new 2 gauge cables as well and make sure you get the proper terminal ends. If the hole is too big you don't get as good a connection.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Be very careful with this problem. Do not operate until the problem is resolved. Call the manufacturer they understand the dangers of overheating lithium batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Like everyone above said....this is not normal! Get to the bottom of why this is happening before something catastrophic happens.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It is unlikely that it's the batteries - very likely that it is poor connections! Check the temp of ALL of your internal connections and I bet only some are hot.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
dc.901
Getting Wild
Club Car

Last year I switched to Lithium batteries - during this switch I did not replace the cables, but I did cleaned the ring terminals. Original cables were 6-guage.
I experienced similar issue but instead of batteries - cables were getting VERY warm, and after little longer drive, there were hot.
Replaced those original cables with 2-guage and have not had any problem like that in a year.
I am in Georgia so it does get hot here; perhaps not as hot as Texas...
dc.901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:23 AM   #8
TXGolfer22
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: LiFePO4 batteries melting 4 gauge cables

First, thank you everyone for the feedback. I have ordered new 4 gauge cables with proper fitting rings. I think the previous cables' rings were too oversized for teh terminal fitting. I've also gone out and replaced all of the connectors on the wiring for headlights and built-in Yamaha charger.

I will report back once my replacement battery arrives.
TXGolfer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:16 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Proper sized cable ends make a huge difference! You want maximum contact with the battery posts. With Lithium, the cables stay nice and clean too so it's worth starting with new cables.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Make sure your power cables are on post FIRST, the other (reducer, etc) cables on top of it. If this is still happening after you do all this, you need to get in touch with battery manufacturer, it may be something wrong with one of the batteries and that could be a disaster! Let us know how it works out.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lifepo4, lithium, overheat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha