lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
PLBuggie
Not Yet Wild

Default Need Advice for Hills- Upgrade Motor, Controller Or Lithium

First Post here and New owner of an EZGO 2014 RXV fully refurbished in 2020

I just picked up this buggie from a family that was not using it.

Cart has US Battery 48v batteries, spindle lift, 23x10.5x12 Predator AT tires and AC motor

overtime, I am looking to upgrade to Lithium 48v 105AH , Navitas Motor and controller and change over to Street fox tires as well as new dash, stereo and lighting. But not all at once due to cost of +$5K

Here is my core question ---- I live in a very hilly area and the cart slows way down as expected on the hills..

1. What upgrade should I do first - Lithium batteries, motor or controller.
If so - What brand Motor , Controller or Battery is recommended?
Are there other things I should consider?

2. Bug is a bit squierly and I drive 100% on streets so will street fox 23x10x12 be a better upgrade to ensure more stability in the cart..i really want a stable smooth ride.?

Any and all feedback is appreciated and glad to be part of this community.

As I upgrade I will post pictures and process!

Thanks

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart front 2.jpg (198.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart front.jpg (199.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart springs.jpg (197.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart back.jpg (201.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart tires.jpg (188.8 KB, 0 views)
PLBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2022, 12:35 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Need Advice for Hills- Upgrade Motor, Controller Or Lithium

Can't help you with the motor upgrade, I'm a gas guy.

As far as the lift and handling goes.....I can tell you that tires do make a huge difference at high speeds. Suspension and steering geometry also makes a huge difference. Your toe setting is super important, make sure that is set dead straight or with a very slight toe in maybe 1/8" or 1/16".

For adjustablility and better handling I've always liked the Jakes Long Travel kits. They ride and steer better and are more stable at high speed due to the double wishbone design.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
bproosow
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a Club Car DS and keep my cart in a very hilly area. I'm not driving over 15 mph though. I bought the cart with an upgraded speed motor. I added a Navitas controller. That was great for being able to dial in the settings for the hills. My regen was effectively nonexistent because of the speed motor. The controller allowed me to get that working again, which was a big safety issue as this thing would go flying uncontrollably down the hills, and I really didn't want to rely on crappy drum brakes to maintain a safe speed. I just did a lithium conversion last weekend. This made a huge difference in power. Granted, my T875's were like five years old and on their last legs, but the biggest difference is the weight reduction. I'm using two Eagle batteries which weigh 38 lbs each. I took out six Trojans that weighed 62 lbs each. So that took me from 372 lbs down to 76. So almost a 300 lb reduction! This thing flies up hills now, no problem.

I would probably start with the batteries and see how it goes. If you need more adjustability for the hills, do the controller. If you still want more speed or torque, look into a replacement motor. As always, this is just my opinion and YMMV.
bproosow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:25 AM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

If your batteries still have life in them I would do the motor/controller first and would go with Navitas.
Capt. Lenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:14 PM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Might want to check with scottyb on the board here, he's the sparky man and has everything. https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Welcome aboard.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:12 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Let me first state that my cart is built for torque & not speed. That said if you currently have 6-FLA’s each weighing 65-lbs, that’s a total of 390-lbs. One ECO battery (as an example) of 105AH weighs 94-lbs. So right off the bat you have weight savings of 290-lbs. (Or one of your buddies….or two of your party type gals.) That weight loss makes a big difference when climbing a hill.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:20 AM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking weight loss and climbing hills might not work too well without the correct tires. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Capt. Lenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
I'm thinking weight loss and climbing hills might not work too well without the correct tires. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
I don't think you're wrong. Tires....especially big one's with "thumper" treads take a lot more juice to run. OTOH, weight is also a big factor.

I think the combination of both will really make a difference. But it's like which came first....chicken or Bison?

Going the tire route first, if the existing pack is good, may be the least expensive first step.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, lithium, motor, navitas, street fox
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts