lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
Kong
Not Yet Wild

Default Salt air is attacking my Icon

The paint on most of my suspension parts is coming off after a year, and the rust is setting in. Anyone else having this problem? I wondered how the cart would hold up in the beach conditions. I'm now wondering if the Club Car and EZ Go would have been a better choice for this environment. Might be making a trip to the powder coater.
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Salt air is attacking my Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
The paint on most of my suspension parts is coming off after a year, and the rust is setting in. Anyone else having this problem? I wondered how the cart would hold up in the beach conditions. I'm now wondering if the Club Car and EZ Go would have been a better choice for this environment. Might be making a trip to the powder coater.
Ezgo uses steel frame also. Club car has aluminum so does bintelli. Vivid ev also has aluminum frame on thier peak model.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:27 PM   #3
anpgator
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
Ezgo uses steel frame also. Club car has aluminum so does bintelli. Vivid ev also has aluminum frame on thier peak model.
While true, for one reason or another the steel frame EZGO’s hold up a lot better than any of the Chinese carts in my area (FL panhandle on the gulf).
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:15 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Rustoleum sells a very high quality paint that works incredibly well. I've used it on partially corroded steel...did a quick wire brush....painted it....and 20 years later it's still not rusting. (This was a metal hand rail on the outside of a home)

If you live in an area of salt air, that environment will be very hard on unprotected or under protected metals.

Use the right "stuff" and you will be very happy you did.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Disassemble everything that is rusting that you can. Mask heim joints and any other part [bushings ect] that you don't want touched. Sandblast, prime and paint [or powdercoat] and you will have a job that will last. Last step, and this is important, spray the chassis with Fluidfilm, or chainsaw oil. It will creep into areas that you can't reach with paint and help keep the rust from eating the metal from the inside out. You will probably need to reapply once or twice a year depending on how much water you drive through.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #6
mtollin
Gone Wild

The new Lithium Club Car Onward with AC motor starts at around $13,000. Far cry from what Icons / Advanced EV list for.
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtollin View Post
The new Lithium Club Car Onward with AC motor starts at around $13,000. Far cry from what Icons / Advanced EV list for.
Your also getting an aluminum frame and lithium battery pack. The lithium pack is 2000-2500 alone… also adding a lithium pack to an icon will void your warranty.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
mtollin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
Your also getting an aluminum frame and lithium battery pack. The lithium pack is 2000-2500 alone… also adding a lithium pack to an icon will void your warranty.
Yea, didn't say it wasn't a good cart, I own one. My CC compared to my Advanced EV is like driving a Rolls-Royce, but not as fast. Void warranty on the lithium in an Icon? Did not know. My Advanced advertises installing Roypal from factory and pretty similar carts, except I don't have magnetic brakes...thank goodness.
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #9
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Don’t say that directly but says any modification which alters the weight distribution of the vehicle voids warranty. Changing from lead acid to lithium is a drastic shift in the weight. I don’t what other modification they could be talking about that would have anything close to the change in weight distribution that the lithium would cause… also lists changing the charger out from the factory one in the very next line and 99% of the lithium packs come with thier own charger to replace your current one. Very coincidental these 2 items are listed back to back in the warranty terms…
Old 09-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Any company that states in their warranty verbiage that get's that company out of a claim to fix it for a modification by the owner is typical.

OTOH, I was looking to buy a "low end" thermal scope (low end is $1,500-$2,000) and one company's warranty specifically stated their warranty is "void" if the company discontinues the "model" of the scope.

So, change it from a BS50-1 to a BS50-2 and your 5 year warranty lasted 6 months.

Imagine if vehicle makers did that! We offer a ten year warranty.....unless we quite making that vehicle. You buy a 2022 whatever....then next year they make a 2023 whatever.....Hey we quit making the 2022....warranties are all null 'n void!!

Yeah....what a business plan!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon