lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
BuggyFletch
Not Yet Wild

Question Have 56v power but trying to power 12v lights and stereo

Maybe I'm old school, but I'm trying to put some 12v rock lights and a little bluetooth stereo into my new EZGO S4 Elite 56v lithium.

It looks like some folks are using various sized DC-DC converters, I found one on Amazon that is 30-70v input and 12v output, up to 20amps...

But I noticed underneath the front seat there's several unused wire harnesses just sitting there not plugged into anything (molex looking 4-wire and 2-wire spade type connectors). Are any of those 12v by chance?? What are they all for???

I guess I need to find my voltmeter, or just install one of these DC-DC converters... Thoughts??
BuggyFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2022, 07:09 AM   #2
GolfSA
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Have 56v power but trying to power 12v lights and stereo

I’m not an expert but as far as I’m aware everything is 48v hence everyone installs step down converters. If they were 12v I’m sure it would have been posted and people wouldn’t be buying the convert.
GolfSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #3
BuggyFletch
Not Yet Wild

yeah, well mine is 56v, and I hear some are even more... but, it seems like a stepdown DC-DC will work.. I was just trying to tap into some existing wiring harness vs. messing with the battery terminals
Old 09-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
GolfSA
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyFletch View Post
yeah, well mine is 56v, and I hear some are even more... but, it seems like a stepdown DC-DC will work.. I was just trying to tap into some existing wiring harness vs. messing with the battery terminals
I know what your saying, I got the converter don’t have a stereo just little things light bar, USB ports, all go through a fuse box. If you find a 12v lead somewhere please let me know, would love to “loose” a few wires.
GolfSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyFletch View Post
56v maximum, 48v nominal, just like every other “48v” lithium battery, don’t let the marketing hype confuse you.

Most 48v converters will work up to around 60v as the designers designed them for 48v nominal systems, not 48v maximum systems.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:31 PM   #6
BuggyFletch
Not Yet Wild

yeah it seems like DC-DC converter is the only way to go.. not sure how the current OEM lights are working, maybe they are 56v capable.. or maybe there is some other step-down converter I'm not seeing in here somewhere..
Old 09-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #7
Twinsdad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Converter definitely best way to go
Twinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:52 PM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you want to add a 12v source you either have to put in a converter or a separate 12v battery. But with lithium the 12v batteries are smaller and lighter and easier to install than the old lead acids.

If you do the converter you will be pulling power from the battery that's used to move the cart, giving you a somewhat reduced range. But your charging is still very simple with one pack and one charger.

If you add a separate battery you get to keep all the power for moving your cart but a separate battery requires a separate charger to deal with.

I put a 12v LiFePo4 battery in my cart but I'm definitely the oddball since the vast majority of people go with a converter.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Unless you have a very high demand 12V item, a converter is the way to go IMO. Modern lights are LED and their current draw is minimal. I would go with a converter capable of 30 amps at 12V - and one that has a trigger wire to shut it down when the key is off.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #10
BuggyFletch
Not Yet Wild

Yeah mine did not have the trigger wire (5th wire) so I rigged it up so that the power input is on a switch, and that switch is capable of 250VAC power, so it should be fine here..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO