lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2022, 03:26 AM   #1
808PantsII
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Avoiding heartache.

Hindsight tells me that since I'm now going to have to toss out the swollen, long-dead GC-8 lead-acid cells - from which I got about zero use or joy, after replacing them all about a hundred years ago - that this time I'd better ask around a bit before pulling out my credit-card.

I want to know whether replacing them with any variant of lithium (to at least make the hulk mobile again) can be followed with incremental additional modifications WITHOUT serious degradation while sitting and doing basically nothing but getting a maintenance charge.

Eventual goal for this cart is to 'qualify' it as an NEV, about which years ago I did some research, and thought it would be very useful for nearby trips of, say, 2 miles each way.

Hope that gives the general, loose plan some form and allows anyone to suggest options for this 'pathway.'

Please, someone also point me towards the right place in the User CP to draft my basic cart data, which would be something like this: "1999 Club Car DS, including 6ea 8V lead-acid batteries at a tangy near-neutral pH, canopy forcibly and dramatically removed (sadly, no video exists), OBC bypass (so THAT'S something...). Provides shelter for toads and weeds at present.
808PantsII is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Avoiding heartache.

To identify your cart for future responses, go to the user CP and under "edit signature" create one which will include any identifying information you feel important.

You can go to "edit avatar" to include a photo of your cart if desired.

As far as upgrades, converting the cart to IQ with a new wiring harness and controller would be a good place to start.

Going with a drop-in lithium pack, such as sponsor Eco Battery has, will be an upgrade you will be very pleased with. These are zero maintenance and can be connected to a timer to turn the charger on automatically once a month or so.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
808PantsII
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, Tom.

Ya know, I did go to Eco's site, but found it apparently devoid of 48V 72ah combos (others showed up, just not that one.) I'll look around more, of course.

Also have to educate myself as to your 'IQ' reference.

From the little I've read, though, the one component I thought I might NOT need to replace was the controller. Not so? Sorry, I can/will do more poking around on the site to get up to speed.

Dave
Old 09-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #4
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have a '99 DS that I restored/modded last year. I did the IQ update (removed all of the existing wiring, installed new wiring harness, replaced potentiometer with a new MCOR4, etc.), converted the stock motor and controller to Navitas 5kw/600a AC system, and installed an Extreme Team 72v 150ah lithium battery.

If you don't need to go fast, all you really need to do is replace the lead acid batteries with a lithium battery (I think Extreme Team has what you're looking for). It will last MUCH longer and there is no maintenance.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808PantsII View Post
Thanks, Tom.

Ya know, I did go to Eco's site, but found it apparently devoid of 48V 72ah combos (others showed up, just not that one.) I'll look around more, of course.

Also have to educate myself as to your 'IQ' reference.

From the little I've read, though, the one component I thought I might NOT need to replace was the controller. Not so? Sorry, I can/will do more poking around on the site to get up to speed.

Dave
https://ecobattery.com/s/category/pr...t_state=%7B%7D

This shows the 72 and 105 bundles. Scottyb sells them. He can also help you convert your cart to IQ and get the full benefit of the lithium pack.

To simply replace the LA batteries with lithium is easy. Everything you have will work with either one. To increase performance beyond what the weight difference will give you will require upgrades.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ads/...Odz09&z=20&d=1
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:06 PM   #6
808PantsII
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Jon. Sounds like you've been there and done (more of) that.

You reminded me that last time I attempted to move the cart, both brake and accel pedals were semi-frozen from rust. Hilarity ensued, while I tried to maintain an 'all is well' aspect, what with the wife looking on at me rolling backwards down a steep slope, one one of my "yet-another-project" items. So yeah, I think I could probably do with at least an accelerator replacement.

I just checked Extreme Team's website; seems everything that's not TOTALLY extreme is out of stock...(no, that's not your responsibility.)

On that subject: I'm in Honolulu, and shipping from the US mainland is NOT cheap, not even ocean freight. And this is the case even for non-haz stuff; not sure what happens when it's a Lithium pack...but I'm guessing it's not going to be CHEAPER. So while I'm not anxious to incur the wrath of "support-forum-sponsor" police, I want to consider Chinese manufacturers. It's not just a LITTLE less costly; it's looking to me like it's probably less than half the cost for same or similar specs (a basic 48V/72ah box ready to bolt in, delivered to my door, duty paid, etc. (Air freight is about $250, which seems entirely reasonable.) I'll attach specs.

Is it possible to appraise the quality of the BMS, etc from these specs? I'm under the impression that a high-quality BMS will sense individual cell voltages vs the pack voltages, to determine whether any is high or low - or maybe this is basic and universal at this point? - but I don't see that level of detail in the attached specs.

EDIT: mfr just provided the attached BMS monitoring screenshot, which reassures me that it does indeed monitor individual cells.

Mahalo... Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMS screenshot.jpg (60.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 48V 72AH Golf Cart Lifepo4 battery datasheet.pdf (4.76 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by 808PantsII; 09-13-2022 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: added image
Old 09-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #7
808PantsII
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
https://ecobattery.com/s/category/pr...t_state=%7B%7D

This shows the 72 and 105 bundles. Scottyb sells them. He can also help you convert your cart to IQ and get the full benefit of the lithium pack.

To simply replace the LA batteries with lithium is easy. Everything you have will work with either one. To increase performance beyond what the weight difference will give you will require upgrades.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ads/...Odz09&z=20&d=1
Tom, thanks again. Seems like you and Jon are offering the same advice, which I appreciate.

Where does the "IQ" term come from, in the cart context, that is?

Dave
Old 09-13-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Maybe it would be worthwhile to look into the allied batteries. They’re much smaller and lighter than the eco or xtreme packs because they’re sold as individual 48v 30aH batteries (2 batteries will work with a stock cart but if you plan upgrades I’d get 3 for 90aH)

Their batteries are regular battery size @ about 30lbs each so shipping wise it may be a better alternative. Allied usually ships for free also, at least continental us. I did just try a random address I found clicking on a Google map in Honolulu and started the check out process and it still showed free shipping via FedEx.

Allied is also a forum sponsor so you can Use a coupon code BGW for $100 off Your order. If you place separate orders for the 3 batteries and charger (4 orders) you may be able to use the coupon code for each individual order and save $400. Not sure if that would work or not, but worth a try. I don’t see why not!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:54 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And IQ is the name club car gave for IMO their best drive system. They had regen 1, then regen 2. Both of those systems tend to be finicky and had their share of issues. Regen 3 they called IQ. After the IQ system they had the excel drive system which is also very good and reliable, but advantage to the IQ system is you can buy a speed magnet for $30 and take a stock cart over 20mph. Can’t do that with the excel.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:04 PM   #10
808PantsII
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
And IQ is the name club car gave for IMO their best drive system. They had regen 1, then regen 2. Both of those systems tend to be finicky and had their share of issues. Regen 3 they called IQ. After the IQ system they had the excel drive system which is also very good and reliable, but advantage to the IQ system is you can buy a speed magnet for $30 and take a stock cart over 20mph. Can’t do that with the excel.
OMG. I hadn't realized regen had even made its way into the world of carts. Mine? Square, stone wheels, pretty much. Think I'm gonna change my screen name to 'Rip Van Tinker.'

Seriously, though, thanks for that background, er...Reddy...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car