lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
mcmillanjl
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Question YDRE Troubleshoot

Yamaha YDRE left me in the road this weekend . Stopped to say hello, and when I hit the go pedal, the car just "jerked in place." It continues to simply jerk in place. 52V Pack charge. Tow/Run, On/off keys tested and good.

I have Plowman's Riot Kit with Alltrax XCT 48500.

I have narrowed my issue down to a bad MZJ-400s failure, or a bad connection somewhere along the line (I think). Am I on the right track? Cart does resist being pushed and wheels turn slowly when go pedal is pressed. I hear no click from the solenoid, ever.

I cant quite grab hold of how to test Solenoid. I see lots of B- B+ references, but can't relay that to my solenoid. Also, I see that some folks say I may need a resistor and/or a diode.

Thank you, and please ask for more info if needed!
mcmillanjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2022, 08:02 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: YDRE Troubleshoot

It's probably the solenoid. I had one of those fail same way on my YDRE. IMO they are a crap design. My failure was the little switch on the bottom that is supposed to open to disable the pull-in coil. If it doesn't open, the pull-in coil fries and then the solenoid won't properly close.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:57 AM   #3
mcmillanjl
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
It's probably the solenoid. I had one of those fail same way on my YDRE. IMO they are a crap design. My failure was the little switch on the bottom that is supposed to open to disable the pull-in coil. If it doesn't open, the pull-in coil fries and then the solenoid won't properly close.
Thanks Volt.

I should add that I plugged the controller in, and got the following "errors." e.g. these three items were highlighted in blue.

Shutdown - Precharge Fail - Low Battery.

Can you speak to any of the anode/resistor requirements for this setup? Is there a different between the $50 amazon solenoid and the $115 solenoid from somewhere like golf carts modified?

Last edited by mcmillanjl; 09-28-2022 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 09-28-2022, 08:25 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The cheap solenoids I have seen on Amazon were Chinese clones. I don't know how good they are. Your errors do suggest a bad solenoid though.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
mcmillanjl
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Update: I found, on Amazon, this solenoid which includes the diode and resistor. I will update once installed and tested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by mcmillanjl; 09-28-2022 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: fixed link
Old 10-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #6
mcmillanjl
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

So, the new solenoid worked, but my batteries seem to be dying faster. They are also 5 years old.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha