lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2022, 06:58 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 295 pre-mci upper engine noise

Well good news, I think you found the source of your noise! That definitely isn’t normal

I honestly can’t remember off the top of my head but shouldn’t there be a shim on the end of the crankshaft? I seem to remember one being there, but I don’t think all of the robins engines I’ve rebuilt had one either so maybe it’s optional only if needed to make clearances into spec? I’m sure trig or cartmaster knows, so I’ll wait for the old nincompoops

Maybe she’s a weeblin and a wobblin in there because of excessive clearance and making the gears wear funny and chatter
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #12
Romartin1
Not Yet Wild

Cp241, there is a thrust washer on the front of the crank. All looks good other than those gears jumped out at me. I checked all the bearings when I rebuilt it. It was low on power and using lots of oil, compression was down and that's why I rebuilt it. Sounds the same though that's why I'm back chasing the noise. My lake friends tease me about the rattley diesel golf cart...I just want it to be quite. Now don't know if it's better ti just bite the bullet and go for the reman jobbers. New gears would be a new crank and counter shaft...I've already got a fortune in this old turd...doing some research and looks like I can get just the gears.
Romartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:06 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did it make that noise before the rebuild?

And I guess it’s a little late to ask now but do you have a video showing the noise?
Old 09-29-2022, 09:34 PM   #14
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I think it is time to give up on this engine. With that amount of damage, even a reman is going to be costly. The core value is pretty much zero now. Your best bet would be to look for a take out from a big block conversion or a big block upgrade yourself. My thoughts are that this engine has been run with little or no oil in the past, or very low oil pressure. Possibly also over revved for long periods. I may be wrong as I have never seen that sort of damage without the rods also being trashed. What this is going to cost for a reman/rebuild will likely be more than a bolt in upgrade. This will also give you obsolete ignition parts to sell to cover your costs. It's your shout, but that's my opinion.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:07 AM   #15
Romartin1
Not Yet Wild

It was noisy before the build, figured it was Piston slap, sounds exactly the same after the build. We use it at the lake, runs great, 160psi each hole just loud. Built it about 2 years ago. I don't have any video, rode it yesterday and 20 minutes later it was sitting on the bench. It's still like brand new, really too late to turn back now, it's a shame. Looks like I can get just those gears. I'll probably pull the crank back out, recheck all bearings, plastigauge rod caps and put it back together. It's a good cart just noisy, engine runs great, no leaks and don't use oil. Anyone have a known good engine sitting around? If I did that I'd want to go with a 350 or an mci engine. Cartmaster, the rods looked great when I rebuilt it, I didn't replace them, all journals looked just fine as well. Haven't put a dial indicator on the crank play yet but it seems excessive to me, slash cut gears are normally quieter but maybe with the end play they are binding and wearing like that. Oil pump looks great, all nice and smooth, never any metal or paste in the filter.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #16
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Any chance of a video or sound byte to give us a clue to how it sounds?

It looks like maybe you are close on the fact that you have some float on the end play and it will continue to run for a long time but noisy. If you find another engine and it is an MCI, remember you will need all the ignition components, wiring and probably the exhaust to make it work. Maybe it has been apart before and the end float was not checked and shimmed properly.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:42 AM   #17
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If this is a pre-MCI, the cam gets oiled by the valve cover orifices. Run some carb cleaner through the oil passages. One cam lobe looks like it has bad wear...possibly due to inadequate oiling, and if so, would be loud. Might be a small piece of metal or trash in that passage at that cam lobe.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #18
Romartin1
Not Yet Wild

Fellas I appreciate everybody's feedback, I have completely dissected this engine once again in search of the noise, everything looks fantastic the oil holes in the valve cover are clear I blew through those on my first rebuild. I figured I would just tear it all the way back down check and double check I'm not out any parts thus far other than a head gasket. I would like to utilize this engine being it's all freshly rebuilt I am simply just chasing the noise.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:41 PM   #19
Romartin1
Not Yet Wild

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220930_173131.jpg (391.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220930_170623.jpg (356.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2022, 04:51 PM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Maybe a silly question, but are you 100% sure it’s not the pucks rattling in the duster clutch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO