lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 36v solenoid in 48v Par Car

I have a 2000 Par Car Eagle Custom based on the VIN 5EDZ-xxxxx-E0.

This is a 48v cart with a failed solenoid (White Rodgers). I have been told by a reputable mechanic I can replace this 48v solenoid with a White Rodgers 36v solenoid and he does it all the time with no issues.

Why would I do this you may ask? He has one in stock and it is quite a bit cheaper ;)

Would like to get some input from folks if they have done this, does it sound reasonable, what would be the downside (shorter life)?

As always thanks!
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 36v solenoid in 48v Par Car

one way to find out if it'll work. if it won't you can always buy the right one if it doesn't catch the cart on fire. then again if it does, maybe you'll get a new cart out of the deal.
My thinking would be not the volts that's an issue but how many amps your trying to push thought it. don't really know for sure but if they're close it might survive.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The down side would be that you would burn up the coil in the contactor. It's designed for 36 volts, not 48 volts. You might get by for a while, but eventually the overvoltage would burn it up. I guess if he's doing it all the time, that makes it easy to get repeat business. It is something that can buy you some time, but again, I wouldn't plan on it being a long term fix.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Support View Post
The down side would be that you would burn up the coil in the contactor. It's designed for 36 volts, not 48 volts. You might get by for a while, but eventually the overvoltage would burn it up. I guess if he's doing it all the time, that makes it easy to get repeat business. It is something that can buy you some time, but again, I wouldn't plan on it being a long term fix.
This makes sense to me.I was not so much worried about the load on the heavy wires/plates but on the wires in the coil when engaged.

An idea I had to reduce the time the coil saw voltage was to replace the R solenoid so that the solenoid would only fire when going in reverse. The rest of the time in forward it should stay in its default position connecting lugs 3 and 4.

Any validity to that thinking?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

So we're talking about one of the directional solenoids? I guess if it were in my garage at home, and I didn't have the money for brand new one and a 36V was laying around, I'd use it just like you describe. It may not be the perfect answer, but these days we all have to be frugal. And if it does go on you at some time, you can always make a big U-turn instead of backing up!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Why would I do this you may ask? He has one in stock and it is quite a bit cheaper ;)

Would like to get some input from folks if they have done this, does it sound reasonable, what would be the downside (shorter life)?
My 42v cart uses a 36v solenoid with the coil wires short wired (tapped) in the pack at 36v instead of 42v. It's been like this for 10 years, no problem.

It will work on 48v, but as was mentioned before by Tech, with a shorter life.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all the comments. It went in the cart an hour ago.....

My wife was psyched we did not have to push the cart in reverse like we been doing for a month, If I had only bought in on Valentines day
Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Somehow I don't think you would have scored any points with a solenoid as a valentine present.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar