lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
usdiehls
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation EZ go just stops with slight hum when pedal is down

With batteries fully charged, my EZ go's power will just disapear. When you press the pedal, the motor hums with a barely noticeable vibration. Seems to be trying to push forward. While towing it back to the house, my daughter kept trying the pedal and BAM, it starts working again so she drives it home. The next time we take it out, it runs for a few minutes then loses power again. One day last week I took all the cables off and cleaned connections and reconnected. I drove it for about 10 minutes and tried everything to make it stop working, including driving over bumpy terrain at full speed. It worked great. Put it back in garage and charged batteries. The next day my daughter rode it and didn't even get out of the driveway. Batteries seem to charge fully. Any help would be greatly appreciated and my 12-year-old daughter will have her "wheels" back. Thanks in advance.
usdiehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ go just stops with slight hum when pedal is down

Welcome !!!

First off, tell us what kind of cart you have, is the fnr switch on the dash or by your legs, is there a toggle switch on the controller cover? What is your pack voltage shortly after you try driving your cart and it does not move?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
usdiehls
Not Yet Wild

Forgot to mention that I have very little experience (can't fix stupid, I know). I will check when I get home tonight and get back to you. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

If you willing to work on it, then you will get the help with your cart to get it figured out.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
usdiehls
Not Yet Wild

Ok it is a EZ-GO TXT 27647-GO1
FnR swith is by legs between driver and passenger.
NO toggle swith on controller cover.
Also, just checked it again and it worked for a few minutes then very low power with vibrating hum. Hooked it back up to charger and batteries were full. I jacked up the back wheels to see if they spin when I hit the gas pedal. They did but I could easily stop the wheel with my hand. Then I pushed gas pedal again while jacked up and the wheel barely turned. While I was doing this I noticed a thin wisp of smoke from one of the battery terminals which just happens to be the one a friend helped me jerry rig. The Golfcart mecahnic that worked on it last messed up one terminal and my friend re-tapped it with a bolt. That was over 8 months ago. I felt the battery cable to this terminal and it was HOT. None of the others were.

Oh and how would I check the pack voltage?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

you certainly have a bad connection that needs to be fixed. check your voltage with a vom, volt ohm meter, connected between the first pos. and the last neg. full will be 38.2 and 50% is 36.3. when you hook up the charger it needs to run till in shuts itself off or overnight. if you have a newer charger they will finally go into float mode.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

load test and test all cells in batteries it sounds like you have one or more dropping out under load........and yes check and clean and tighten all battery cables as thats all it takes to bring the cart to a stand still ..............what brand and how old are batteries? if your cart is a 2001 and they are original batteries than chances are its time for a new set........oh and welcome........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
usdiehls
Not Yet Wild

I have (6) Eveready 105 hr batteries I bought at Sams Club about one year ago. I am suspect of the one with the "rigged" post that was smoking. I guess I should spend the $80 and just replace that one? I didd clean all posts and connections two or three weeks ago but the "rigged" connection gets coroded very fast.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That sounds like a good starting point!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That sounds like a good starting point!
..........agree........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hum, stops, sudden
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO