lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Here we go again, hahahahahaha

Greetings, All - sorry I've been scarce for awhile, a couple of back-to-back deaths in the family and sordid other issues have kept me pretty tied up all summer, but I figured I'd share a great story ...

So a few years ago I helped the couple who's property is adjacent to ours with their 87 Marathon (mainly referrals, as at the time I was a relative Newbie to the 2-strokes) and earlier this summer, did a rear seal for them as the guy who rebuilt the motor for them never used any Loctite installing it so it blew out ... Long story short they sold their property and decided to head South, so for what amounts to far less cash than a good Saturday Night Drunk, I picked up the cart and am the proud new owner of yet another Marathon Canvas to become creative with !!!

20120925_181534.jpg.jpg

Since I did the seal, they put a new/used exhaust on it but other than that she's stock with nothing more serious than a good set of dents in the nose from the Grandkids hitting the barn, etc a couple of times - went through it real good and everything is in far better shape than my 88 was when I started it, compression is 115, and the only issue I found is a cracked starter bracket (which I happen to have a spare already so no biggie) - she runs great and once I tear the carb down and pull the oiler it's time to launch another project !!!

The goal is to throw a Medalist/TXT front cowl on it, a 5" lift with 22x11's, strip and paint her burgundy pearl (or maybe just keep that wierd green - almost has a sort of 50's look) and do either Oak or Hickory side panels (think "Woodie") with Spar Varnish ... Blackout all the trim, etc, and with any luck have her ready to roll out completed by Spring !!!

I'll be keeping the thread alive with pics and stuff as I go - WOW it's been too long since I totally redid a cart, WOOO HOOOO !!!!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Night
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Here we go again, hahahahahaha

How about I just drag my cart up to you and you can have twice the fun ;)

Mark
Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Welcome back Dale. Sorry you had such a crappy summer. I am sure it will cheer you up to hear that I sold my business and retired so I am having a fantastic summer (felling better now?). Anyway get a wriggle on with the rebuild I want to see a nice detailed thread here.

Enjoy it man,

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Sweet Brew One of these days we'll have that beer
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sorry about the bad luck. glad to see ya back.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
SouthCentral
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

subscribed, looking forward to seeing the progress!
SouthCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Brew did you ever change that UGLY bolt in the intake?? don't make the same mistake twice. Enjoy your build we'll be watching

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the support (?!?) guys, hahahahaha ... Took a well-needed day off in Chicago yesterday and woke up bright and early today to start doing a full recon on the cart, looks like there are a few minor issues at hand that are going to need some attention (the starter bracket itself is fine, it's the actual cast end of the starter that's cracked - hope I can swap the old one off the Hitachi I have laying around from the old cart, they're the same so it should - HA - be easy) ...

Need some help tracking down a front end - looking for a 94-up plastic nose for her. For like 2 years they've been all over Ebay dirt cheap but NOW that I need one of course that's not the case - anyone have a spare to sell or maybe a referral?

Going to run some errands and fire up the pressure washer to see what's under some of the oil that seems to have puked out of the injector system (then of course, tear that sucker out like RIGHT NOW) - I'll post some pics later this afternoon!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK ... So things started out not so good, I quickly found out that BOTH brackets on the starter were broken - one on the starter itself, one was the rear bracket (never having owned one of these "aincient" 2PG's I'm wondering if the brackets on there are homemade - they *just* don't look right to me)

20120927_164110.jpg.jpg

Luckily, I had another starter laying around that had a busted F2 post so I decided to swap the noses on them - pretty easy actually but I *did* learn a trick, instead of pulling the brushes and reinstalling them after the swap, if you push on them with a screwdriver til they "click" they will stay all the way retracted, making it a breeze to swap the nose housings (a fast tap from the access ports after everything is back together will put them back in place good as new - prob saved about a half hour of screwing around)

20120927_170952.jpg.jpg

SO - a starter nose swap and a little "heat glue" on the broken rear bracket and everything is back to normal starter-wise ... I took a little time w the pressure washer and some degreaser to clean up the engine compartment for now (just to bust up the worst of the goo) and really, things don't look bad at ALL in there (other than the requisite rust under the battery)

20120927_173839.jpg.jpg

I decided to pull and blow out the air filter (holy packed - can't believe it even ran like that) and while I was at it, pulled and cleaned the jets ... realized the oiler cable was hanging up and while the oiler was running just fine at full bore, the throttle was only hitting maybe 50% - got THAT mess all straightened out (for the next day or so til I have time to pull the oiler and set her up with premix) and she's running like a madman, so life is good!

Ordered a bunch more silly stuff I know I'm going to want to replace (shorter belt, new clutch cover, new Monroe shocks for the lift, etc) so now it's just a matter of waiting for some parts, trying to track down the new cowl, and probably see if I get time to winch her upright and finish the pressure washing underneath. OH - before I forget, I can't get ahold of my seat guy who did the seats for my 88 - anyone have a good lead? Thanks!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

im gonna do the full legnth shock swap but i hace a couple questions. 1. im asumming i need to get rid of the shock extenders? i have a 5" lift by the way. 2. where have you been getting your shocks? lets see if i have the #'s right for the monroes: 81125 & 31100?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO