lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
cwatson79
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 EZGO Marathon Flooding Out

I recently purchased an 88 EZGO, when receiving it the cart would not fire. I confirmed getting good spark & good fuel. The previous owner had recently put a new fuel pump on. Put a brand new carb on it this weekend and same issue getting too much fuel. Spark plug will be completely soaked, enough fuel is getting through that it is venting through the exhaust. So much that it drips out of the exhaust.

Tried adjusting carb jets, yesterday did get it to fire and run for about 15-20 minutes and would fire on the first crank. Decided to take it for a test run and again started flooding.

Two things we tried - one we took the settlement bowl off and confirmed the float would shut the fuel off. Two we seemed to get it to fire when we held the throttle cable slightly open while giving it gas. Restricting the amount of fuel being pushed through the carb.

Any suggestions on what to check next, like I said we can dry it out dry the plug off restrict the fuel to a small amount and it will fire? If we try to crank it as normal it floods to the point of leaking fuel out the exhaust.
cwatson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: 88 EZGO Marathon Flooding Out

Check compression.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
cwatson79
Not Yet Wild

redcloud - after reading several other posts yesterday, I did go ahead and check the compression while cranking it was 130 psi.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Are you 100% sure that you have in fact got a new pump fitted (as opposed to cleaned up)? The reason I ask is that the most probable cause of a crankcase flooding is a split diaphragm in the pump.
What happens is the the pump will still work but fuel will leak through he diaphragm into the crankcase. This will cause the excess fuel to weep past the rings and out of the exhaust port which is the lowest point.
Of course I could be wrong, it has been known and diagnosis by remote control is always fraught with uncertainty.
By the way it also looks like your exhaust gasket needs replacing.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
cwatson79
Not Yet Wild

Dave - thanks for the response. This is a brand new pump, but just to make sure nothing went wrong with that I took it apart and the diaphragm is in tack, no holes or anything.

Any other ideas I am open to hearing, I know it's just a process of elimination.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
redcloud
Gone Wild

You say you checked the float and it does shut fuel off but is it set to do so when installed with out flooding the bowl? Is the carb the correct one for unit? Are all the lines dealing with fuel in there correct place? Is the throttle cable the correct one and adjusted correctly? Does the throttle plate close with spring when you release throttle?
Trying to piece this together. You are using the right plugs and have not used the same one that got wet? Have you tested for spark with the plug removed and shorted to ground? Are you getting a good hot spark, not a weak yellow spark? Are all the grounds from battery to block and frame in good contact?
i know lots to look at but that is what I would do if it was my cart. My leaning is to the new carb and the bowl float adjustment. Let use know what you find out.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO