lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
CaptnJB
Not Yet Wild

Default EZG TXT, goes fwd, no reverse

Good morning all,

I have an EZ-GO TXT with the dreaded DCS system on it. Been working great for about 4 years. Dropped a wrench and shorted out the wires to the charging plug. That's where we it started, I think.

The cart will go forward, but will not go in reverse. Microswitches check OK at F&R. Reed relay checks OK in charging plug.

I have searched and posted in a couple of appropriate threads with no replies or conclusions to those threads in troubleshooting a similar problem.

I went through the diagnostic sticky, the ONLY section that is questionable in my system is in the inductive throttle sensor. The voltage on the black wire at the controller is about 13.95 volts with the six pin connector attached indicating, according to the sticky, that the Throttle Sensor MAY be faulty..

When the six pin connector is disconnected, the voltage on the black wire goes to about 14.18 volts indicating the 'sensor' is faulty. Is it the throttle sensor, it's not very specific in the diagnostic section?

Everything else, including the motor unwanted continuity test checks OK. Unless you can think of something else...?

So my question is, does this sensor really have ANYTHING to do with it not going in reverse, knowing that it goes forward?

If the sensor is faulty, why will it still go forward?

A little more info, there is a click, I assume it's the solenoid when in reverse and the accelerator is pressed.

What can I check or do from here?

Thanks,
JB
CaptnJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
CaptnJB
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZG TXT, goes fwd, no reverse

A little update:

I drove the cart half way up a hill, stopped and put it in reverse. When the start going back down hill, the beeps came on telling me the cart was moving.

I let it accelerate on it's own, which wasn't much.

I drove it back up to the same point on the hill, put it in reverse and pushed the pedal. The cart slowly accelerated down the hill to it's normal clip. Whenever it leveled out, the cart slowed and then stopped. So the reverse(?) voltage is getting to the motor, just not much amperage.

However, the cart still will not go in reverse, solenoid or whatever still clicks when on level surface and pushing on pedal.

Thanks,
JB
Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your reverse micro is out. There may be more problems, too. but the micros in your F/R lever tell the controller which "way" to go...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
CaptnJB
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I disconnected both micros and checked them, they check OK.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks,
JB
Old 09-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
CaptnJB
Not Yet Wild

Fun side note: When in forward at full speed, I 'threw' it into reverse, I mean, what the heck, something is messed up anyway. So....I slowed down a little, and then really started haulin' butt in forward, except with reverse selected! Hehe...

I'm starting to lean toward the controller having an issue, it's a Curtis 1206SX (if memory serves, shoulda taken a picture when I had it open). 9 pin connector on top...

Anyway, anyone have a picture or a schematic of the inside of this controller box?

Thanks,
JB
Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't attempt to take apart the controller. You will not be able to repair it. Time to look for a replacement controller

Alltrax 300 amp will get you the best bang for the buck. No need to throw high amounts of amperage...

Don't know the price off hand, but you could check our website and see your options...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
CaptnJB
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I'll look at the Alltrax, do you have to modify the wiring, or is it a straight replacement?

I'm gonna start reading up on it, but I'll check this thread too.

What about a rebuilt one, any thoughts? Rebuilt Curtis, Rebuilt Alltrax?

Okay...look and like the DCX400.

Back to my original post, what about the throttle sensor, any thoughts?

Thanks for your help guys,
JB
Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We get re-manufactured curtis controllers for the PDS from our local EZ GO dealer.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
CaptnJB
Not Yet Wild

Conclusion to this thread:

The error was in the controller. It would not reverse the field or polarity on the F1/F2 terminals.

When reverse was selected, essentially sending the Orange Wire into the controller to ground, the controller completed the circuits internally, grounding the Green/Black that goes to the reverse warning, causing the it to sound.

However, it was NOT reversing the polarity of the F1/F2 terminals, thus "NOT" sending the motor into 'reverse.'

I talked with the EZ-GO technician and he said the micro switch was out as well. When I went through the wiring diagram with him and 'proved' to him that the switch was good because it was not physically connected to the reverse warning device, he said it could be the controller, but had never seen this happen before.

So, for all of you that have this problem in the future, check the following:
  1. Perform all the diagnostics in the sticky section.
  2. Put the F&R switch in the neutral position.
  3. Disconnect both the forward and reverse microswitchs at their respective connection points.
  4. Using an OHM meter or a continuity meter, check each switch as you move the F&R switch to F and R. The 'F'orward microswitch will close in both forward and reverse.
  5. If the switchs are good, reconnect them, if not repair the defective switch
  6. Now, since the switchs are good AND your cart will go forward, but not reverse AND when reverse is selected the reverse warning device sounds try the following:
  7. Swap the white and black wires at the F1/F2 terminals on the Curtis 1206-SX (PN 73144G0x, x being the revision number 1, 2, etc.)
  8. If your cart now only goes in reverse, not forward the F1/F2 polarity relay inside the controller is bad and the controller needs to be exchanged/upgraded.

I hope this helps someone else out in the future. The diagram/photo is for illustration only.

JB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis Diagram.jpg (131.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In a DCS cart....... 92.5% of the time the problem is the controller..... Every tech knows this. That is why Ezgo quit making them after just a few yrs of production..... Glad you found it ... avoid low voltage situations like the plague! It makes these carts eat controllers
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forward only, no reverse, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO