lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
In2ice
Not Yet Wild

Default G22 sometimes won't start?

My G22 will start fine and run but occasionally when I come to a stop it won't restart. Nothing-no clicks or sounds what so ever. Press pedal a few times and nothing. When I turn the key off and back on it will start. Could it be a battery or maybe the starter? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
In2ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
In2ice
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G22 sometimes won't start?

Anybody?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

A voltmeter and follow the "sticky" above, "so your Yamaha won't start". Follow the tests and I'm shure you'l find the problem.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
In2ice
Not Yet Wild

Problem is it is a random problem. All can check out fine at the time but the problem can arise again. Frustrating; kinda like chasing my tail and running around in circles for hours on end
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Intermitent problems are always the worst. Still the volt meter will tell you if the battery drops to far in voltage to turn it over. You can test the "stop switch" for continuity (many times) to see if it is intermittent. Do you hear the solenoid "click" all the time? could be a "stuck" starter/generator brush and it cant make contact to the commutator enough to turn over on the compression stroke. Just some idea's. Good luck on finding the Gremlin.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The problem probably lies within the low current "starting circuit" for your cart. The low current starting circuit is as follows: voltage is applied through the ignition key switch to the accelerator switch. The accelerator switch then applies voltage (when pressed) to the starter solenoid control coil, (which then closes the solenoid high current contacts). The high current starting circuit consists of the starter/gen, battery, & solenoid high current contacts. When the high current solenoid contacts close, they connect the starter/gen to the battery, resulting in the engine cranking and running. Both of these circuits remain "picked up" all the while you are running. The starter automatically becomes a generator for charging the battery when running.****************************************** *************
A good possibility would be that your accelerator switch is intermittent. You said that you turn the key switch off and on and it starts. If that actually happens, I guess your key switch could be intermittent, but then your cart would occasionally shut down while running. (you didn't say that was happening).
You really need to familiarize yourself with the "starting circuit" and keep your voltmeter or test light handy to do some testing when the problem exhibits itself. You should also look for dirty or loose connectors within the starting circuit. Dirty battery terminals also can be a source of trouble, but I think your problem lies within the low current starting portion of the starting circuits. Good luck & advise if you have questions. RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

My old G9 did this for a while and it ended up being dirty battery terminals. Cleaned them really well and it fixed it right up. May not be your problem. Intermitent problems can be aggrevating.

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
In2ice
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE: I took it for a spin around the block yesterday and it happened again but this time I was not at a complete stop and the motor was still running. I coasted toward the stop sign, the engine was running, I didn't come to a complete stop. When I accelerated again the engine didn't accelerate. It just continued to want to coast to a stall. After pushing the gas a few times, it engaged and started to accelerate again. Does this info help further diagnose this problem? Thanks for all the past and future responses.
-Allan
Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would think pedal switch first, guess I would put the DMM on it and switch it a bunch of times. Investigate is it dirty, is the wiring ok on it, etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
In2ice
Not Yet Wild

Update...I replaced the stater brushes and it seems to have fixed the problem. I drove it and started and stopped several times and it started every time. Time will tell if that solved the problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha