lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
TriPower
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question Sticky Throttle Cable

Hey Fellow Carter's,
As you may or may not know, my Yamaha g9 has been stretched three feet. And all the cables had to be replaced to compensate. My throttle cable, i ordered from my local motorcycle shop. This winter, when it got really cold, she wouldn't budge. Although, a few minutes later, it took off, with no speed control. But it died down about a minute later.

I'm just wondering if anybody know what is going on. Can anybody help?

Your friend,
TriPower
TriPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Sticky Throttle Cable

Maybe the cable has a little lube in there and it just gummed up a little.. if it was that cold..
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Sounds like it temporarily froze due to the temp. Maybe moisture buildup. I've had it happen before myself. And it could have been your shifter also. Any connecting point that moves. Some of these cable connections are somewhat sping loaded as well on some point of the connection, so it doesn't take much to cause them to stick which safe quards it from breaking.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
TriPower
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

it does not rev at all. i get nothing. until it takes off a few minutes later
Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Does your cart still have the pedal switch? It sounds like possibly the cable has the throttle hung wide open and the only thing controlling the starting and stopping is the pedal switch. Meaning as soon as you hit the pedal it is wide open.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
TriPower
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Pedal switch? As in the thin behind the gas pedal that turns it on and off? My cart is hooked up to bypass that and start right when I turn the key. Is that an issue?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Not sure how your cart is designed. I take it that it is completely redesigned. How is your throttle cable hooked up and routed? Is it more or less hooked up like a go cart? Straight from pedal to carb.? With the engine off, can you see press the pedal and see the cable working the throttle on the carb.? Does the throttle open and close in conjunction with the pedal movement? Do you feel any resistence in the cable when moving your pedal? Check the cable to make sure it isn't bent somewhere along the routing.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
TriPower
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It's a g9. It has a g16 engine. It's the same way I bought it, besides the key mod. I'm not sure what a pedal switch is. Any pictures?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Likely has some moisture in it. If you heat the cart up and it works fine you will know for sure. Best way is take the cable off and pour some light oil down it while working the cable in/out until you get some out the other end. Oil will not freeze, used to do this on old sleds all the time. Can also use a protectant like armorall or the tire shine stuff, but its messy. Some cables have a plastic liner inside and the protectant works good on those. That will keep the windows and doors from freezing shut on a car just put on the rubber seals it will not freeze then. If you can't heat the area, then use a hair dryer to warm it up.

Make sure the cable is not kinked or damaged, and that the return spring is working.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha