lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
superstock1986
Not Yet Wild

Default Needs Advice on what to buy

Hi everyone!

I am as new as they come to this forum. Can you tell me what the best cart to buy is that I can modify to make the fastest? basically I am looking at old Yamaha's and ez go gas powered. I'm looking to buy a cart cheap and build up the motor. I know there are many different Yamaha g1-g22? What is the easiest to modify for the money and get good speed? I'm looking at 1980s carts -1999 or so. I only want to spend about 1000 on a cart so you get the idea.

Also will these carts pull a jet ski out of the boat launch? Im using it for my cabin.

Thanks for all of your help!!
superstock1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Needs Advice on what to buy

As far as carts go, the Yamaha's have the best frames in the business. Full mandrel bent round tubing construction. Just like a race car. None of them are "easy to modify". It all depends on your skill level.

Cost wise, I'd be looking for a nice G2/G9 for that $1000. They are considered by some as the best carts Yamaha ever made, built like Tanks. They have a good heavy duty transaxle with reverse, good for engine swaps.

Boat launch? I don't know. It will have the power you need for sure, but the weight is what will determine your success. I've seen some people do small fishing boats and jet skis, but not much else.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
superstock1986
Not Yet Wild

Thanks,

I would only be pulling a jet ski.

Do you think these golf carts can go 25-30? or will it take an engine swap for that speed?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock1986 View Post
Thanks,

I would only be pulling a jet ski.

Do you think these golf carts can go 25-30? or will it take an engine swap for that speed?

25 - 30 MPH is not hard to achieve. Usually just a governor bypass, along with larger tires or rear gearset change will put you in this range.

As for pulling, a decent cart will put a jet ski. Power isn't the problem. The problem is stopping. There are only rear brakes on most stock carts, and they may not be enough to stop your cart when backing down a steep and wet boat launch.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I`ll comment on the jet ski portion. If your ramp is paved and not to steep it wont be a problem once you swap in a VC440 or VC460 (Vegas carts motor kit). depending on the ski you might need to add weight to the front of the cart. Notice in the picture attached how it is lifted up. well if I hit bumps it lifts the front off the ground. also note it is a big three seat seedoo in the 800-900# range. The VC motor swap pulled her with out issue.
The one thing I will recommend more than any other. UPGRADE THE BRAKES! I have not done this and it can be scary. I ordered disks and am waiting for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-28 19.18.06.jpg (391.6 KB, 0 views)
lake surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
superstock1986
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. My jet ski weight about 350lbs its a stand up so I think I will have no problem if you can pull out a big 3 seater.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
firemedic247
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake surfer View Post
I`ll comment on the jet ski portion. If your ramp is paved and not to steep it wont be a problem once you swap in a VC440 or VC460 (Vegas carts motor kit). depending on the ski you might need to add weight to the front of the cart. Notice in the picture attached how it is lifted up. well if I hit bumps it lifts the front off the ground. also note it is a big three seat seedoo in the 800-900# range. The VC motor swap pulled her with out issue.
The one thing I will recommend more than any other. UPGRADE THE BRAKES! I have not done this and it can be scary. I ordered disks and am waiting for them.
You could try upgrading your shocks and shorten the length of the receiver hitch bringing it closer to the cart.
firemedic247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Remember, 350 for the jet ski, 300 for the trailer, 650 total. Just saying. The extra power of the VC440/460 might be in order. A stock engine would be pushing the limits pulling the ski and trailer up hill. An upgraded suspension might be in order also. Some guys have used rear air shocks?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha