lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
colu41
Getting Wild

Default 91 Club Car No Spark

I bought this a few days ago with the intention on just replacing the starter and rollin. But the guy I bought it from apparently didn't know anything he was talking about.

We were able to get it turning over. Battery and Starter are fine. But has no spark. I was able to bring in the Ign. Coil and it works perfectly fine. What do I check now? I'm not a mechanic by all means but if someone can lead me to what to do, I can do anything.

I heard of checking inside that casing on the side of the motor for more of some type of coils?

Thanks for any info! I can't wait to get this thing driving so I can start the overhaul
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Re: 91 Club Car No Spark

So I had the coil tested. It not only makes spark but holds it. Now what do I check? Rev limitor? Flywheel?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

My 1993 had intermittent spark and was fixed by disconnecting the ground on the rev limiter. Not sure if the 1991 is setup the same. If it is, easy to do and will quickly tell you if that is the problem.
bcsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
colu41
Getting Wild

The limiter is straight wired right into the coil but I read the same. Ended up cutting both the brown and black wires on the limiter (hopefully both were grounds) and still no spark. Still turns over though so. I wonder what it Could be. Going to have to get some connectors and put those wires back together now! lol
Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Pretty sure only the brown is the ground. Did it have a ring connector on it that was fixed to a bolt? I would be surprised if there were 2 ground wires, try to check where the wires are running to and verify.
bcsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
colu41
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
Pretty sure only the brown is the ground. Did it have a ring connector on it that was fixed to a bolt? I would be surprised if there were 2 ground wires, try to check where the wires are running to and verify.
I realized I shouldnt have cut both. Lol. So I'm going to reconnect the black and try again. And no, both the brown and black wires are hard wired into a connector going to the coil. Different from the newer model CCs.
Seems like the power goes through the limiter straight to the coil.
Clipping that black wire probably completely dissabled the coil. That could be problem.....ha
Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

How did you test the coil? As far as I know, nobody here has ever really come across a good way to reliably test one. In many cases the coils test fine on a multitude of bench tests but still fail when installed.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
colu41
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
How did you test the coil? As far as I know, nobody here has ever really come across a good way to reliably test one. In many cases the coils test fine on a multitude of bench tests but still fail when installed.
Went to my local Honda Dealership and Mech Shop. They have a little spark box where you put the connectors in, and it actually will show a spark in the box, and you can wire it to see the plug spark also....We let it run for a good 10 minutes and never got hot and burnt out so, figured it has to be ok.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
colu41
Getting Wild

Any info? I really want to get this running soon before I start doing other work to it but. May take a bit.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Irnwrkr3
Not Yet Wild

Change your ignitor. It is located behind your rev limitor which is located on the bottom front of your engine. The ignitor is what caused my 92 club car not to get spark. You can find them on eBay fairly cheap.
Irnwrkr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car